A40640 80W doesnt cut

We are all in that boat :slight_smile:

I’m not saying it’s bad, just clarification of the device. What is it attached to?

:smiley_cat:

will take a picture tomorrow. I have no experience with this kind of laser but I see that there is a good potential. Beginnings with my fiber laser weren’t easy as well :slight_smile:

and in Neje site they tell that the optical power is 15W

The focus point of the laser is 22mm, and you want to cut 4mm. To calculate the height of laser take half of the material you are cutting 4mm (half is 2mm) and subtract that from 22mm = 20mm.

After setting focus to 20mm do a cut with 100% and 250 mm/min in speed, my guess is you would have to do 3 or 4 passes.

By the way I run a small business here, and it’s all based on the Neje and very successful, I do 3 to 4 big engravings and cut every day on it, and it just works.

Now go laser :wink:

1 Like

here you can see how to focus the A40640
https://wiki.nejetool.com/doku.php?id=m_fo

You need to test using your laser to determine the best settings for a given material. Others have produced a starting point to assist in getting you going. Similar laser system, but will require adjustment to best match your system.

That’s called “marketing”. It’s measured at about 10 watts output. Still respectable for a diode setup to be honest.

Sorry, there are two 20W diodes. Good advertising gimmick to lead you into believing that it’s a 40W diode and there are two of them.

In reality, NEJE wisely realized that 20W diode was a sweet spot from a fab perspective and, using a combining mirror, they managed to reliably put two 20W diodes together to get a very good 40W module. The marketeers (AKA crooks) of the world thought, huh, two diodes, 40W, let’s call it an 80W diode. NEJE didn’t say this, but given that they haven’t shut down the shisters who are making the claims tells me that NEJE isn’t all that concerned about the misrepresentation. Bad on them!

3 Likes

On there page it clearly states.

40W General Specification
Module Input:30-40W
Optical power output:15W

So the misunderstanding comes from people who doesn’t know the difference between In and Output.

Welll 3 problems with this, and yes i am biased so my opinion is worth whatever its worth
a) the sales page has a huge 80W on the image and heading

b) The output 15W is not right either is roughly a 9-10w
(which is FAIR and good for a dual diode!)
c) the input power is not 30-40W either. Their power adapter wouldnt handle it

And yes Ortur has its mea culpa as well on all this marketing things, thankfully a strategy shift was made and the Wattage branding was dropped on all newer products.

My point is, the product for what it is is fairly good, no need to over market it.
I guess this is to apeal for the people that just go by the “more POWA more good”

DISCLAIMEr: This is MY opinion, as GIL, not an Ortur official statement :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well I’m looking at there web shop https://neje.shop/ and on there official Youtube the video you point at is not there.

I did not select the 40640 NEJE it is two 20 watt lasers one is mirroring into the others beam. I suggest you purchase $20.00 usb microscope and focus your laser with that. and slow the speeds down at 100% untill you get a fine line with no over burning I have the N40630 its cutting reduced to about non in 30 days or less. I did not like the way they mounted the laser block inside of the 40 housing with out using any heat sink compound. this cause the Laser led to contaminate the first lens out giving the final focus 3 dots on object and cut feature was useless after that. So I got refunded from supplier on the module and purchased A30130 square beam with .04 mm focal point.
And its a real problem child causing burns to stop and go dark lines and not shutting power off without unpluging the power from laser. But the old N 40630 and NEJE 0006 and NEJE B25425 have no such problems. NEJE has replaced one of the A30130 but they both burn np but get strange doing large images now and then.

I’ve put my 3d-printed air-assist design out on Thingiverse if you’re interested…

5 Likes

Many thanks, I’ll be printing this in tha am :+1:t6:

1 Like

You can set the laser power to 80% and speed to 20mm/S. The height of the laser head depends on how many millimetres your focusing lens uses. As long as you know the specifications of your focusing lens, you can measure your focal length by referring to the picture below

Not the best video but gives a clear view of the NEJE A40640 ~15W laser module air-assist in action. Bandsawn ~5mm willow plank (not very well-centered) cut in one pass at 150 mm/min and 100% power… the piece fell out on its own when picked up

– David

1 Like

The Neje A40640 is a dual diode laser with Fiber to a FAC Lens (Fast Access Collimating Lens -Aspheric micro-cylindrical lens), It is two 7.5W diodes according to the manufacturer that is supposed to have an optical output of 14-15W. Realistically? Max power scientifically is about 14.2, but I would say this is closer to 10W. I own one.

The optimum focal length after running tedious ramp tests on mine is 19mm using an endoscope to find the best distance. If you want to cut wood, you would drop the focus by 1/2 the thickness of the wood. So if you were cutting 4mm wood, your focus would be 17mm.

The Library file for the A40640 is freely available on my Forum in the Member’s Only Download section:
https://lahobbyguy.com/bb/

Here is a video I did when I first got the A40640:

Rich

4 Likes

Thank you. Too many people just sell 3D-printed air assists instead of publishing the stls.

2 Likes

You could make some extra $$ by making air assists for the AtomStack models.

2 Likes

Maybe. But tired/retired and 75, I do this stuff as a hobby and for fun… and am just trying to stay reasonably sharp for as long as I can… :wink:

Also, have never seen/examined Atomstack laser modules… looks pretty well enclosed from what I can see.

1 Like