Additional internal memory

So is there a way to increase internal memory on a red and black Chinese laser running a Ruida 644XG. It was my understanding the internal memory was 256 meg which I failed to take into account the software so that eats into it. I am trying to run a project which I guess is to large for the internal memory available. Any suggestions. The file is around 100 meg. Are there simple workarounds for this.

Thanks for the help.

I ran into this last weekend. What I did was break my project into different stages. I gave them each different color layers, even though it may be doing the exact same process, then turn only one layer to output at a time and ran was able to finish my project.

What is the file you’re running? If it’s a large image there are things you can do to reduce the transfer size.

This is still a test piece, haven’t done the mahogany top yet, will do it this weekend. But this is what I was doing. It is all vectors, most are fill, some lines, then the sound hole and outside shape cutout.
The rosette, although done with the laser was not part of this program, but there is an area under it that is removed for it to sit in.

That should not be 100mb of data on the laser. What interval are you using for the fills?

Ok, I will be more precise in saying, that I assumed the problem was that it was too large a file. The first time I ran it the program just stopped at 87%. It wasn’t finished, it just stopped moving and the laser beam shut off. So, I-A$$-U-ME-D it was too large a file.
I broke it down into 4 files. One to do the lines, one for the fill, one for just the rosette fill, and one to cut out the sound hole and perimeter, and it worked on a couple of test pieces that I have done.
Tonight I will check the size of the file.

If you click ‘Send’ instead of ‘Start’, and the file is complex, that can help, as it means that you’re not transmitting the file while it’s being run.

You can figure out the actual size of the data being sent to the machine by clicking ‘Save RD File’, saving it to disk, and looking at the file size there.

It can also depend on how you’re connected. USB and wired Ethernet are both very solid but if you use WiFi, the way the controller works doesn’t allow for guaranteed delivery of data, and it’s possible for packets to get dropped. This is much more likely with larger files, so if you’re using WiFi to talk to the machine, consider running a cable instead.

I am using USB.

I do not have a Ruida. So, can I still hit send and once transmitted it will start the file ?

What controller do you actually have?

My first message, asking about the file size and what was being run, was to the original poster, which is who I thought you were, and why I was confused when you showed your image - the OP said the file was 100mb, but there’s no way yours is that big. I think you have different issues.

sorry, I guess I kinda hijacked the thread. Your message was after mine, so i assumed you were talking to me.

I started with this (not sure what it is) and an M2U (I think that was the name)
panel

But replaced it with a Cohesion 3D board with e GLCD

The original would be an M2 Nano controller. If your C3D stopped during a send it’s most likely a power or grounding issue, or possibly a USB port going to sleep - your controllers work completely differently, so you don’t have the same issue (your controller doesn’t host files at all - they’re streamed from the PC as they’re being run).

Thank-you for that explanation. I will check the port to see if it’s shutting off

To be honest I do not feel the file is very large it is around a meg in size. Once I enlarge it in lightburn the file is close to 105 meg. I did have the line interval around .050 for a tighter burn. I tried to send it to the laser but it acts like it went through but never shows up. I guess 105 meg is to large or I do not have the memory for it. I increased the interval and it passed through at around 50 meg. Any recommendation on reducing the file size.

100Mb is the limit for Ruida controllers. Try using Newsprint as the dither mode if you’re going to go that high on the DPI. It clusters the shading dots together which reduces the effects of overlapping dots, and has the nice side effect of reducing the transmitted file size.

Thanks for the help as always, I was trying greyscale which was probably most of my problems.

Thanks again,

Wes

OOoh, yeah - grayscale on a CO2 laser ends up being variable depth more than variable shading, and the way they’re sent to the controller is pretty bloated. Even standard dithering would end up smaller than grayscale, and Newsprint (or the upcoming Halftone) would be significantly smaller still.

Yeah on this one I was looking for the depth. Is there a way to decrease the bloat in the future or is that what is required by the controller?

There’s not much that can be done about it if it’s grayscale. You can lower the DPI, which will reduce the overall size, but also the detail. You could also cut the job into two pieces, and run them independently.

I’ve engraved 10 ft x 4 ft images on clear acrylic, and had only a 14 meg file that turned out perfectly adequately. Took ages, but looked great.
100 meg is unnecessary, especially for somethng as small as a guitar!

Our other laser is a little ULS, and it has only 4 meg of ram, and you can still engrave pictures about 12 x 24 inch, if you edit them to not be too big- and they look terrific.

It does take some understanding of processes and limits though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.