Additional offset profile option to set offset cutting level

I use a laser to cut parts from 0.6mm wood veneer like the shape below.

This has a very sharp corner on the right hand side. The veneer is often ‘fragile’.

So to help with getting the part ‘out’ I cut an offset profile (the solid line) as shown below. The extra cutting time is not a problem since it only a few minutes. This is shorter than the extra time required to safely remove the part.
This has a very sharp corner on the right hand side. The veneer is often ‘fragile’.

So to help with getting the part ‘out’ I cut an offset profile (the solid line) as shown below. The extra cutting time is not a problem since it only a few minutes. This is shorter than the extra time required to safely remove the part.
So that I can use kerf on the original profile and different cutting conditions on the offset profile, I change the offset profile to another Level.
This only takes a short time.

However, I also have groups of parts as shown below. Some of these have sharp corners. Also I have parts that are narrow (around 2mm) which also require additional offset profiles.
It would be great if another option was given in the offset GUI so that you could define the Cutting Level the offset would be set to.

I’m not quite sure what exactly you mean by this extra offset function.
I also work a lot with 0.8 and 0.6mm veneer. To prevent the parts from breaking and to speed up the work process of picking up the parts, I use an offset and strategically place some break points. It works very satisfactorily for me.

1 Like

I also do quite a bit of veneer.
I can get pretty fine sections with just the standard kerf offset.

For fine tapered “tips” I’ve found success by breaking the tips from the main body with node editing and adding in an offset to the original.
Along the original lines I’ll cut at reduced power to mark the final shape and use the offset to cut free.
Once I remove the object from the veneer sheet, I’ll break/cut off the excess around the point. Sometimes I’ll leave the very tip unmarked and just free hand it do the tip has no burned area to get a cleaner edge/point.

Certainly interested to see what other do for this!

2 Likes

Thank you for your helpful comments. I too look forward to hearing how others deal with this situation.

Thank you for the picture. Definitely food for thought!