After update no connection s9

My laser did work allready for over a year. Now I did an update of lightburn and there is no connection. The only Thing: ‘your laser is paused or busy’

Please help. Did allready buy new cable

Are you selecting the appropriate port in Laser window?

yes, I installed the USB port new, I switched USB ports, tried different ports. and still the message:
“printer is busy or paused”

even when I instal the S9 as a new printer my LightBurn finds it, so there is not the problem I think

Can you take a full screenshot of LightBurn with the Laser window in view?

Also, is it possible that any other programs are open that could be opening the serial port for the laser? Think of any application that does communication with another device.

I’m having a similar problem with a SculpFun S30Max.
I’ve also tried creating a new device instance, using the “find my laser” control.
It finds a device but will only create a “GRBL-M3” placeholder device.

No other programs are running, other than the Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard connection sw. I too, replaced the USB cable., and it is plugged directly into the back panel of my motherboard. Running the latest Lightburn (LightBurn 1.5.01, built Tue 2024-02-06 @ 20:55) on a licensed version of the latest Win 10 release, fully patched.

No need to add it automatically. This never really works well. Add the laser manually and set it up correctly. Then only choose the correct COM port. Full guide is here:

Thank you for the reminder about this. Sadly, it had no effect.
I now get the following error in Device Manager:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Can you take a full screenshot of LightBurn where this is shown?

here you are. I am now getting an error 34

First, make sure that the laser you’re connecting is trying to connect on COM3. When you disconnect the device, does COM3 go away?

This issue is typically going to be due to a hardware failure or driver issue.

Try connecting to a different USB port if available. If you are currently using a hub, remove it from the setup.

If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling the device fully and use the option to delete the driver.

If that doesn’t work, I’d suggest doing some research on this error and attempting some other remedies that you find.

I fully agree here, it looks like a driver issue. The devices should not be listed as “communications device”. That doesn’t seem right. If you installed the correct ch340 driver, the laser should be listed as “usbserial” device.

Sadly, the laser does not appear to be trying to connect on any port. Powering it on and off (or plugging and unplugging the cable) makes no difference on the computer. The connection is direct (no hub) I have completely reinstalled Windows, and reinstalled the CH34 driver; no change.
I’m going to try some other USB-B cables, but my suspicion is that the motherboard on the laser has failed (again).
Melvin, I installed the CH34 driver linked from the Sculpfun website.

Do you have a different computer you can test this with?

Can you link to the specific driver that you installed?

1 Like

I have tried this on a different computer. I have to admit that I didn’t try all the USB cables on the second computer, and only tried LaserGBRL to see if it would connect, which it did not.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0628/0695/0066/files/CH341.zip?v=1703729345

That does appear to be the correct driver.

Instead of actually trying to connect with a program. The critical piece is to understand if the device itself is being detected in Windows and the driver. Can you check Device Manager with that other computer to see if it’s being detected differently?

If you don’t see anything changing in device manager when plugging the laser in, then the board seems to be broken (at least the USB chip). First, I suggest opening the cover of the mainboard and check if any LEDs light up once you power it on. Some Sculpfun devices had a problem with a faulty power switch, the fact that the light within the switch turns on doesn’t mean that the mainboard receives power.

When AC power is applied, the power switch does not illuminate, but the red R47 diode adjacent to the power switch flashes once when the switch is set to “on”. It also flashes once when the power switch is turned off. The fan on the laser body spins up for about 0.5s when power is applied.

It looks like a bad power supply or bad mainboard/switch. First, exchange the power supply, if that doesn’t work, you need a new mainboard.

According to SculpFun support, it is a mainboard failure. Wheee!
Thank you for your support, even if it wasn’t a Lightburn issue.
Greatly appreciated.