Air assist control

I use a MKS Sbase 1.3 with cohesion’s smoothieware version on it with my 50w CO2 laser. I have a pin setup to enable air when requested by LB. The air is turned on to a fairly high pressure for doing cutting with the laser. Could we get another output, which comes on when the laser is firing. This would enable me to have a very light air flow to use when engraving or cutting card stock keeping the lense’s clean without blowing soot all over the project. Yes I could tap into the laser fire pin, but I’m pretty sure that is a PWM signal if I remember correctly. This would not work very well for controlling a air relay controller. I do not want to run air all the time as the air is coming from a 80gal air compressor which I don’t want running in the middle of the night

This is the basic idea used on my Ruida controller… here is a kit from Cloudray laser.

Simple put, the Ruida has an output that goes active when the machine is running a job. When this status goes active, that enables low air pressure.

This opens the full input pressure from the tank, so there is a restrictor that allows the low pressure setting for engraving.

When the user has selected Air assist on the layer the ‘Wind’ becomes active. That signal is used to bypass the restrictor giving full input pressure to the head… here’s a picture of my valves and by pass…

Your issue is that that board isn’t standard… I’ve seen questions about this issue… it seems to be an issue from a gcode on how to actually do it some way standard…

Top right of the screen is a Feature Suggestions that you can post things to be included in future releases. We can vote on them there…

I’d go check there and make sure it hasn’t already been posted/answered or discussed…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

There is a option in the smoothieware laser config that will do what I want. I’ve perused the source for the laser module and this pin is in addition to the PWM signal.

laser_module_ttl_pin 1.30 This pin turns on when the laser turns on, and off when the laser turns off.

So is it clicking on and off all the time, such as scanning?

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.