All was perfect, now Lightburn stuck on BUSY with any movement

I have designed and cut many many things without any issues using Lightburn and NEJE 3 Max (win 10) and up until Yesterday, everything was perfect… today its not. When I start Lightburn, it auto home then it gets stuck on ‘busy’. Thinking it was an update issue, I updated to newest version but that did not help (current ver 1.2.04). Only way to clear the ‘busy’ is to keep unplugging the usb cable and that only works sometimes. Sometimes I have to cut power and unplug the USB cable to get com3 freed up. Then when I reconnect with lightburn, it auto homes and gets stuck on busy immediately following any movement. I have tried multiple cables to eliminate it being a USB cable issue yet the result is the same… When I do manage to get Lightburn in ready mode, and I send a job, or re-home or even use the pin drop to move the laser head, it gets stuck on busy. When it actually gets to ready mode which is hit and miss and I actually send a job like cutting a simple test square, it works for like 2 seconds then no laser light and ends up completely frozen with air on (or off no difference). LaserGRBL does not have this issue. GRBL 1.1. So frustrating to have everything perfect then this happens out of the blue.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance for help.

Had a similar problem that lasted several weeks… Then one day I clicked on ‘devices’ in the Laser window and clicked on ‘Find my Laser’ Now I have never before have that work had to always ‘Create Manually’ ( New update feature maybe), Any way that seems to have worked but the ‘Com’ changed from Com3 to Com 11…
Hope that helps a bit maybe…

Merlin…

I tried that as well. No difference. I think this might be a NEJE thing… I tried cutting a simple square when it actually showed ready… and after about two seconds, it froze up (the laser that is) and when I stopped the job, it was stuck on busy.

Sometimes a Hang while attempting to home is caused by static electricity. The engraver head runs up to within about an inch of the homing switch and zaps breaking the data stream. You won’t even hear it but the controller board might.

Drivers of this are; moving the engraver to a different location or work surface, drop in humidity (winter season). Setting the engraver on a baking sheet or aluminum foil might prevent the static from getting into the limit switches.

Power dips, like the ones caused by wall heaters and RF Noise (any electric motor nearby) are other common obstacles to communication. Got anything new plugged in and running nearby?

My 4" vent / duct fan would knock out the USB coms to my 3018 when i plugged it in nearby. I ran an extension cord from a wall outlet on a different circuit to the fan to move the motor-noise away from the controller. Hasn’t done it since.

Well, run everything in a cabinet with a 8-plug strip… machine, duct fan, lights, compressor and Pi for wireless IP camera all plug into that strip. Everyone worked fine for weeks up until yesterday(ish). But I will separate everting out until just down to the machine and air assist pump and see what happens. I’m now leaning towards it being the neje machine vs the lightburn software… because i was able to get a ready status, sent a job, simple square to cut and the machine froze after two seconds… and the busy bar once again appeared.

I ordered some new usb cables, but this time i got active and a brand name… shall see if it is as simple as usb cables… keeping fingers crossed.

Separated everything including removing the laser machine from the cabinet and placed on table. Ran only the power cord and the usb cable. Same result. Sooooo I ordered new usb cables… unless is is the main board on the laser, i think its narrowed down to that.

But when I re insert the machine back on the tracks in the cabinet, i will heed your experience and separate the wiring to lessen the potential for interference

I’m kinda taking a wild stab here, but if you set the Transfer Mode to Synchronous in the Edit > Device Settings menu (and reset/restart the machine), do you still see this issue?

Ended up being the UBS cable…… but not the one I thought it would be… it was the one from the board…funny how sensitive the software is with usb cables… not sure if its the neje laser as I don’t remember having same issues with the fox alien mega machine. Thanks to all for the help. It’s is quite frustrating when you don’t even know where to start looking for problems.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.