I decided to stop using the scanner in the all-in-one printer and get my Epson flat bed scanner out. Installed the software in Ubuntu and started playing around. B/W, no paper behind it, lid up/down, color, etc. I got the best results using color with the lid up.
Then I imported into LaserBurn and then Inkscape and tried edge detection but it looked like too much ‘other’ things were getting in the way.
So I brought it into Gimp and started cleaning it up with an eraser around the entire shape and in the holes. In hindsight, I should have made as mask layer(white or black) and put the layer behind the image but active and then start cleaning it up. I changed the diameter of the erase brush to match diameters of holes and curves so it would have made a quite clean mask. But because I didn’t do that, when I inverted the color and started working with it further there were lots of spots and imperfections to clean up. Gawd, probably would have taken less time to just go over it all again and make the mask but I kept at the tedium can cleaned it up pretty good.
I turned off everything but the black mask layer and exported it as a PNG and imported into inkscape where I did edge detection, and then turned on nodes view so I could find the little buggers I missed in gimp. I still need to measure a few things to make sure I have the scale correct.
Saved that as an svg which I imported into LightBurn which looks like it’ll make a very nice laser cut part. If I need it. LOL