Anyone got UV Galvo running in Lightburn. Supposed to work in 1.3

I have been waiting för UV support in Lightburn and was happy to see it was supported in the new 1.3 release.
I have not been able to change because I run 3 galvos on the same computer and one of them is a UV laser.
I have a Ruida controlled laser on Lightburn since a couple of years ago.

Now I pulled the trigger on a galvo licens to finally go full Lightburn and leave the abominable EZCAD2 behind :smiley:

Currently My UV runs EZCAD2-lite with a 3W JPT source.
When importing the config file I get laser not supported.

I can´t find any posts/documentation/guides or anything about the new supported UV galvo function other than in the release notes.
Anyone who can point me in the right direction? Do I have the wrong hardware?

All the best!
//Fredrik

Open the markcfg7 file with Notepad. Change the laser type to 1. It should now import.

Before changing the markcfg7 file, can you tell me which laser type it was set to?

It is set to laser type 2.
The source is a 3W JPT Seal-355-3c

Ok, thanks! I will try that :slight_smile:

Type 2 seems to be the typical EZCad setting for UV lasers. It’s what mine was set to in the markcfg7 file I got from the supplier.

Strange - Mine was set to laser type 1, and both 1 and 2 are recognized as “YAG” by EzCad. I’ve updated the device config importer to handle both.

1 Like

What source did you end up getting?

I have a JPT Lark 355-5A.

Same as me. I put in a feature request to see if you could implement a “power inversion switch” so that longer q pulse settings would equal more power instead of the way it is now.

I saw that, but that’s a bit simplistic - the curve is more like a mound - at certain frequencies you get peak power around 5 to 8ns, with a falloff on either side.

EZCad has a “reverse pulse” switch that we’ll likely mimic anyway, but these systems are genuinely weird in many ways.

Yes simplistic, but the assumption is that you’d only go up to the top of the mound and you’d keep your frequency 50KHz or so. I don’t run EZCad (and don’t want to start) but does the JPT look the same pulse-to-power wise as in LightBurn or are they using a reverse pulse for JPT sources?

Looking at my test grid, if I were going to map it as “power” I would start at 20KHz with a q pulse of 1-18, continue with frequency of 30KHz with q pulse 1-8 (or 9), continue with a frequency of 40KHz and q pulse of 1-4, then frequency of 50Khz with a q pulse of 1-2. 50KHz q pulse 2 would be the top end. Maybe 60KHz q pulse 2 as the top end.

Mine wasn’t reversed - I think this is something that’s up to the seller of the machine, really (or the user). As long as you actually know what the overall behavior is, it’s not difficult to adapt to it.

I´m quite lost on how to use the Q-pulse setting in Lightburn.
Coming from EZcad the only thing I can confirm is that the settings I have used are not interchangable.

I suspect my q-pulse settings are reversed as well. Lower q-pulse setting seems to be more power for me.
Intuitive, longer pulses would equal more power but it´s not that simple i guess :slight_smile:

Spec sheet for my source:
Average Power: >3W@30kHz
Pulse Duration: <15ns@30kHz
Pulse Repetition Rate Range: 20kHz-150kHz

My questions are:
Lets say I have used a setting of Q-pulse 16ns in EZcad.
My device settings in Ligtburn I have 1-20ns as min and max pulse widht.
Is a Q-pulse of 4ns in Lightburn tha same as 16ns in EZcad then?
(20-16=4)

Also, are there any good information available online explaining UV laser marking/engraving?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.