AppImage missing camerabin Plugin for GStreamer 1.16

Hello everyone,

We are using Linux Mint 21.2 and LightBurn 1.5.01 as AppImage. For the user, tty and dialout are activated and LightBurn basically works as it should. The communication with USB or with the laser works.

Now we wanted to control a webcam in order to integrate it into LIghtBurn. The webcam works, we get a camera image with board tools (e.g. Cheese).

The camera also appears with its name in LightBurn, but unfortunately no image is displayed. If you start the AppImage from the console, the following error is displayed:

gast@mlr-aio115 ~/.lightburn % ./LightBurn-Linux64-v1.5.01.AppImage                                                                                                                                                                    :(
Using the core prefs dir
connected
"enp0s31f6" "enp0s31f6"
"wlp2s0" "wlp2s0"
"Integrated_Webcam_FHD: Integrat" "/dev/video0"
"MicroTop: MicroTop" "/dev/video2"
Setting camera to  "/dev/video0"
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_tls_channel_binding_error_quark
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
Error: cannot create camera service, the 'camerabin' plugin is missing for GStreamer 1.16.
Please install the 'bad' GStreamer plugin package.
Error: cannot create camera service, the 'camerabin' plugin is missing for GStreamer 1.16.

If I understand appimage correctly, everything necessary for lightburn is already supplied in a container. So the plugin “camerabin” for GStreamer should also be installed, correct?

I have also installed this locally on Linux Mint (or Linux Mint already had this pre-installed) but this has not brought any change.

Is the plugin missing in the AppImage? How can I check this?

Regards
Timo

@JohnJohn Ping

1 Like

Thanks @gilaraujo. @goeland86 could use your feedback here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are aware of a current issue with LightBurn 1.5 and the camera, mainly coming from the AppImage distribution format. If willing, try installing LightBurn with .7z or .run instead and let us know if this resolves this for you. If not, you can roll back to an older version which is known to work for you.

This is a bug that unfortunately could not be resolved in time for version 1.5, and which may take a while longer to resolve.

The interactions between Qt, GStreamer and AppImage are complex to say the least, we will continue to work on this.

Hello Rick,

thanks for the quick reply! Is there an older AppImage version that works with webcam? I have only tested the webcam with 1.5.

Regards
Timo

hi @marove,
The only older AppImage would be for 1.4.05. The download link for that one is here. It wasn’t publicly listed on the website because we had some latency in modifying the website to list the AppImage download for Linux, it only became apparent with the release 1.5.00.

However there is a recognized issue with the gstreamer bundling in the AppImage, causing camera issues. We will fix it, but there are some higher priority items to resolve at the moment. As @Rick suggested last week, using the 7z or self-extracting executable may provide a fix.

Unless I’m completely off, Mint 21.2 is roughly using the same library versions as Ubuntu 22? We currently only offer full support for Ubuntu 20.04. Yes, we realize it’s an aging distribution, and yes the AppImage is supposed to fix this. But, as I mentioned, priorities.

We’ll try to get the bug fixed ASAP, but it’s a significant deep-dive into the AppImage/Qt/gstreamer integrations that will take a fair bit of time to resolve.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.