Arch Cut is Skewed, File is Okay

I’ve created a layout for runs I need to complete and after cutting about 4 different versions, I noticed that my arches looked skewed. So I took some measurements and discovered there is an issue on the arches and they are not equal.

I thought I maybe setup the file incorrectly (maybe pulled a point, moved something weird, etc.) so I did the following:

• Opened SVG in design software
  • Recreate arch shape
  • Align arch over old shape that I thought was the issue
  • Discovered it isn’t the issue and was setup correctly

It definitely seems like it’s some sort of issue within Lightburn and/or my xTool D1 Pro. Has anyone ever had issues like this and what can I provide to help figure out what’s causing it? Is it that my arches are horizontal on the cuts vs vertical? Really looking for any suggestions at this point.

My next steps include testing in another software to see if it’s doing it within that.

In what way are the arches skewed? Can you include an example?

If you burn a perfect square, can you confirm that the width and height measure the same length and that the corners are perfectly square?

Hey Berain, so I did a square / rectangle and those all seem okay and corners are square.

On the image attached (best way I can show the issues), I printed out the design to size, then aligned one of the corners and in the colored marker, that is where it’s cutting, versus the black outline version on the paper.

It’s a VERY slight shift, but enough for a keen eye to realize something is off…I would say maybe it’s an issue with xTool frame, BUT when I engrave, etc. there are no shifts. It’s happening when I cut.

This is very likely something mechanical.

Do a full mechanical review of the machine with particular focus on belt tension and making sure that the pinion gears are properly secured to the stepper shafts. Make sure that the grub screw that secures the pinion gear is pressed against the flat of the shaft.

Without having it in hand it’s hard to judge, but it looks to me like the entire design is skewed a degree or two. Is the machine frame square?

Run this pattern at a high speed to find problems, then again after fixing them to verify it’s OK:

BacklashTest.lbrn2 (197.6 KB)
[/quote]

That means you’re looking for a very slight mechanical problem which will require carefully examining every joint between two parts that should not move independently. A good way to check screw tightness is to loosen the screw, then tighten it while wiggling / rotating the two parts it secures to settle them together with a snug screw.

Another non-obvious place to check: is the laser head firmly secured to the carrier on the bearing? Some folks have found loose screws, missing screws, or screws tightened into stripped holes, so anything is possible.

Good hunting!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.