Aspect ratio is wide and short on print

Greetings all!

I am 24 hours into my laser engraving adventure. Figured out my first project, but the finished product’s aspect ratio is off. By “off” I mean that it is wider and shorter than the image in the preview.

I am not using a rotary tool, so that setting never had a chance to get clicked. I’m sure there is a simple fix for this, even if it is just modifying the graphic. Hoping to get some thoughts from the more experienced.

MacBook Pro
Atomstack A5 Pro

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/how-to-ask-for-help/1262

Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure what I am supposed to take away from this.

Did I make a process foul on asking for assistance from the forum?

Welcome to the forum.

@cggorman’s response is a bit inelegant but the referenced link has a lot of good guidance in any case.

Help with the diagnosis by providing information such as:

1. What laser you are running
  2. Full screenshot of LightBurn with your design loaded. Please have Laser window showing when taking the screenshot
  3. Photo of the resulting burn that you’re trying to troubleshoot

Thanks for that. Much more helpful.

I have a stock Atomstack A5 Pro. Hopefully you can see the screen. If not I will try again.

It’s not really apparent to me that the burn is distorted in terms of aspect ratio.

Can you try burning a perfect square and then measuring width vs height?

The globe should be a perfect circle. I measured it last night and it’s definitely an oval.

I agree with you that it isn’t totally obvious, but I am skewed from looking at that logo for the last 26 years :joy:

In either case, running a square test will tell you the degree of distortion. Can you run and report back on measurements?

I cannot see the difference. I’ve been looking at it for over 50 years.

Is it skewed on the X or Y?

On the X. It’s wider than it is tall.

That made me have a thought…

The gantry on my engraver goes to 410, so that is what I inputted into the settings. I wonder if I change it to 400 if it helps.

I would make a 20mm circle in LightBurn for testing.

I would also make a square just to have more to look at.

At this point we don’t know if it is too wide or too short.

Whichever axis it is means adjusting belt tension or isolating a problem with a stepper motor which would be rare. If it really is too wide, then you would want to check belt tension on the X.

P.S.
I’m seeing some vertical compression in the printed image, so it may be a Y problem.

No. That won’t change the aspect ratio, only the accessible range.

I don’t think what you’re seeing is actually an aspect ratio issue.

I think you’re having some general mechanical issues. Notice how some of the lines in the burn converge when they don’t in the design.

It’s hard to tell root case based on this design. Some test runs patterns would reveal more but I’d look at a couple of things:

1. Check that the belts are not overtensioned. The laser module should be able to move effortlessly across the entire area of the bed. Belts should be taught but not stretched in any way.
  2. Check wheel tension if your machine has them. Make sure the eccentric nut at the base of the shaft is rotated such that the wheels have no play on the rails but are also not deforming the wheels.
  3. Check all pinion gears. Make sure that the grub screw is properly secured against the flat of the stepper shaft. I suspect this may be the actual issue that you’re having.

I suggest a larger circle, like 100mm. I did a circle in the front left quater and the ends did not meet. The shift appeared to be in the Y axis. I then did one in the rear right quater and it was perfect. The right side coupling set (grub) screws on the X axis were loose (brand new machine). Moral of the story… check everything and don’t stop checking when you find something.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.