Assistance Needed with Cutting Issues on My Sculpfun S30 Pro Max Laser Cutter

Dear LightBurn Community,
I trust this message finds you well. I am a newcomer to the Sculpfun and LightBurn community, venturing into the realm of laser cutting. I recently purchased the 90 x 90 expansion for my Sculpfun S30 Pro Max laser cutter, and while I am eager to explore its capabilities, I have encountered some issues that I would like to share with you in the hope of seeking assistance and guidance.

My machine has been experiencing occasional jumps on the X-axis during the cutting process, impacting the accuracy of the lines at the positions indicated by the software. Despite my efforts to adjust the belts and eccentric wheels, the issue persists.

I would greatly appreciate any insights, tips, or troubleshooting advice that the community might offer. Your expertise and experiences are invaluable, and I am confident that your guidance will help me overcome these challenges and make the most of my Sculpfun S30 Pro Max.

I attach images of the problem, the file to be laser cut is from a PDF exported from AutoCad

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

From experience, when something like this on any axis is not replicable and constant is based on wiring
Specially on wider frames your cable loom moove a lot, this can imply that certain motions “tug” the cables in such a way that a small bad contact might happen on the stepper motors. All it needs to happen is a small contact now and then to throw your whole project out of alignment

I would sugest you to move the gantry by hand or observe carefully machine moving and see if the wiring loom is being pulled, or being caught in any way
Add extra cable ties near motors to prevent any tugs and give them some extra protection

1 Like

I sincerely appreciate the swift attention and response to my previous inquiry regarding the challenges I encountered with my Sculpfun S30 Pro Max laser cutter. Your support has been invaluable, and I’m grateful for the guidance provided.

I wanted to update you on the progress I’ve made with mitigating the jumps on the X-axis. Following the advice given, I utilized some cable ties to minimize tugs when the gantry, specifically the X-axis, is in operation. With the aid offered, I didn’t observe any jumps during the process. Additionally, I noticed an opportunity to utilize a hole in the X-axis frame to secure both the cable ties and cables, providing a more organized setup.

However, one challenge remains unresolved. The cutting file seems to be executed imprecisely by the machine. I’ve attached a photo illustrating that the frame outlined in the cutting file is offset from the intended location of the lines within the frame. I’m puzzled by this issue and would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions the community may have

I’m uncertain whether this issue stems from a file error, mechanical glitch, or a program-related matter. This incident is particularly perplexing for me, given my familiarity with working on similar files in external CO2 laser cutting services. However, now that I have my own diode laser cutter, this deviation raises questions.

Once again, thank you for your ongoing support, and I look forward to any further assistance you can provide.

• Lista de elementos

Good news
Good cable management is always a good principle.

Now there are 2 other things that can be happening
I am going to assume you are doing the job in Absolute coordinates, and that your homing is steady and replicable (as in, every time X0 Y0 is the same)

If this is the case, you would need to check belt tensions on both sides of your Y axis and your X axis

Also make sure your sprockets are fully bolted to the motor shafts.

Lastly, and this is especially important on the longer extended frames
Make sure your X axis is square to the Y. To do this, move it by hand to the very front and very back. Ensure the distance from each wheel to the frame.

If the frame shows different distances from left and right wheels to the frame this means you need to square the X again.

1 Like

In my view, it’s 99% mechanical. All those jumps and lost steps are usually caused by mechanical issues. Did you closely check the grub screws of the full drive system? Here is a guide: Guide to mechanical adjustments and maintenance The larger the frame, the more tuning is required to make the laser work perfectly. That’s why I only recommend using those extensions if there is no other way :slight_smile:

Next, be aware that the full work area of the Pro Max with extension frame is about 890 x 900, so not exactly the 900x900. Better even measure your frame instead of relying on external values. If the laser touches the frame once, all positions are lost.

1 Like

To set my $130, $131, and workspace parameters, I used Jog in each axis to almost touch the frame opposite the Home position… I then used the Get Position in the Move window to give the numbers I needed.

1 Like