Autofocus crashing laserhead into workpiece

Weirrrddd!! I was under the impression Ruida didn’t take negative values (but I must be wrong)!

I’m glad I made it minimally frustrating for you! Thank you for adding your info, too! That’s sure to help someone else! :slight_smile:

Regarding the Gweike camera…May be a little off topic…I was advised that the USB cable must be limited to 1.5 meters or video will not show. Has anyone had a problem with longer USB cables? I need to use 10’ to reach my machine. Thanks.

In theory, that should work:

However, those numbers are for ideal cables plugged into perfect ports with standard-compliant hardware. None of us have any of that.

In particular, generic cables from the usual sources are not compliant with any standard and are, in a word, crap. I’ve had poor result with passive extender cables

You may be able to use an active extender cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0179MXKU8

Which is, unsurprisingly, beyond the minimum USB 3 cable length. I’ve had good results with USB 2 cameras on that cable, but your results will certainly differ.

I definitely concur with that Ed, I’ve been running a 25 ft active Tripp Lite USB cable between my desktop PC and my diode laser for the last year or so (on hour plus long jobs) without issue. The cable you linked to has a much higher rating than mine though, maybe I should look at CableCreations next time. The 10 ft passive extension cable to the camera on my OMTECH is working fine as well. But, like you say, YMMV.

Thanks for responding. I don’t think the USB cables are my problem after reading your response and my new 3.0 cable summary.

AINOPE 10FT USB 3.0 A to A Male Cable,USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 Cable [Never Rupture] USB Male to Male Cable Double End USB Cord Compatible with Hard Drive Enclosures, DVD Player, Laptop Cool-Grey. from Amazon.

Frustrated dealing with Gweike as I can’t get my 50w Pro 2 machine to connect to their internet based Cloud design program so I’m trying to eliminate potential problems. My windows 10 computer communicates with the Gweike machine ok as it responds in Lightburn. Have tried different options of connecting to the internet (Have a strong signal) but no luck and no camera video. Updated the USB driver with no change. Thanks for the feedback.

Is this a good idea? I thought the process was to calibrate the camera against the honeycomb - so if the dots aren’t on the honeycomb it will give spurious results?

When you do the camera calibration, no, it doesn’t need to be flat (and for fish eye lenses like the cloud’s it basically won’t work while flat), you’re just calibrating the lense. Theoretically you can do it with the lid open or in a whole other room in your house and it will still be a success. The card just needs to be really still and in the right place on the view.

In the camera alignment test, it must be in position because that’s adjusting how the camera’s view fits real life.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, and for the really useful work you’ve done on the z-axis stuff. Much appreciated!

1 Like

You’re so welcome! :slight_smile:

Excellent guide, thank you very much!

I really wish we wouldn’t have to put 17 minus material thickness in a box named “Material (mm)” though. We’re setting up the Gweike cloud for use in a makerspace and this particular step has already caused confusion and flawed laser jobs among users.

Has anyone filed a feature request to the Lightburn devs for either of these?

1. A new option to change the text label “Material (mm)” to for example “17 - material (mm)”
  2. A new Lightburn setting for the Gweike cloud laser that, when enabled, accepts the true material thickness value in the “Material (mm)” field and then behind the scenes performs the above calculation.

edit: I created the feature requests now

1 Like

Thanks for that! I’ve upvoted it! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.