Benefits of connecting via LAN/Ethernet vs. USB on Mac?

I am running v1.0.2 on a Macbook Air running MacOS 10.12.6. My Thunder Nova 51-100W has a Ruida RDLC-V8.07.69 controller. I am connected via USB and despite some of the reported issues can still run jobs just fine. I’ve experienced some strange power scale issues and one instance where my air assist wasn’t activated properly when running the job directly from LightBurn (streaming vs sending the file over and manually running). Maybe these are examples of strange USB connected behavior?

With that said, before I run 50+ feet of ethernet cable and drill holes through walls I’d like to get people’s opining whether or not going the LAN route vs USB is worth it. I seem to be doing okay via USB, but this is only my 2nd week with the machine and LightBurn. I assume one added benefit of LAN is that my Thunder laser will be networked and so I can send jobs over from my desktop computer not in the shop? What’s another benefit of going the ethernet route?

MAC USB / FTDI Topics Here

Other considerations:

Hold the shift key down while clicking send and Lightburn will command the controller to start the job automatically upon transfer completion.

IMHO, you’ll end up on Ethernet. There is no comparison.

Check out Lightburn Pi Bridge.

I run something remotely similar. I have a $20 wireless bridge out in the garage and it plugs into the Ruida.

The Ruida uses UDP and sometimes fails although I haven’t had many problems. The Pi bridge has code written to correct this. If you go the wireless route I’d suggest the Pi Bridge. Until I find ‘my pi’ I’m using the $20 bridge.

As @Stroonzo stated, I ‘Send’ the file to the Ruida and run it from the console.

Good luck, have fun.

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Thank you, Jack! You were right- I love the ethernet set up! Worth the hassle of running the 50 foot cable through my ceiling.

Glad you’re enjoying it. I don’t think of USB anymore.

Might want to mark this solved, if that’s the case.

:smiley_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.