Best supported controller

Hi,

I’m on controller #2, thinking about #3. My issues are,

First controller LO T9+ ( Puhan 980S ), worked well, but not supported by LB and supplied software does not do grey scale. Lack of grey scale is big. Nice display and shows raster as well as vector jobs OK. Great support.

Second Controller Ruida 6445G, Also works well, nice display, poorly implemented raster and vector display. I like that it works with my laser PSU to display laser current and voltage ( RT-Link ). I like the numerical entry as well. Very annoyed that to use a rotary attachment, I have to disconnect my Y axis, can’t implement through the unused U axis. Customer support poor.

So, I want everything, a well implemented display, X, Y, Z, rotary support without swapping cables, RT-Link would be a plus, but I could give that up, I have the stand alone display.

Does it exist?

Joel

As you probably already figured out, the ruida controller is a good controller. To combat the rotary issue, i connected Y and the rotary axis drive on the same output if the ruida Y axis and put a switch on the control panel that switches power between the Y and rotary stepper driver. I am very happy with that.
Only thing is after I switch back to Y, i press “reset” to re-home the machine.

You said lack of grayscale was a problem - Are you hoping to do 3D engraving with it, or just images? If it’s for images, you’re going to find CO2 lasers do much better with dithering than grayscale. Grayscale mostly ends up producing variable depth outside of a very small power region.

Yes, this is a solution I thought of too. How I see this going is, I set the rotary attachment on the bed, I move the Y axis to line up over the table, maybe run up and down the X axis to make sure it is lined up, then switch to the rotary. I think the Y axis stepper detent torque is enough to not worry about the Y axis jiggling in any direction.

Is that about how your process goes?

Joel

Hi Oz,

Yes, I want to do 3D engraving. I have run a few samples with LB on the Ruida and have been very pleased with the results. With just my 2 - 3 tries, I’m getting good depth and contours.

Joel

1 Like

Thinking about this more, the Y axis driver will still be powered, so should still have full holding torque. That’s an acceptable solution, still would have preferred it’s own axis.

Oz - I have read elsewhere where you said the Ruida implementation of the U axis doesn’t allow it to be used for the rotary. In the case where someone does implement a table feed, with the Ruida, it would be manual only?

The 4th axis on a Ruida is specifically meant for a feed table. It’s different than rotary because you need to run a rotary at the same time as the X axis, but a feed table would be run on its own, not at the same time as the head.

I don’t know of any controllers that meet all of your criteria but if you want to connect the rotary to the U axis, the AWC708 family of controllers will do it.

no, the driver for Y axis wouldnt be powered on and wouldnt hold the position if the switch is at the rotary position…otherwise Y would move along with the rotary.

I have a center mark on my rotary and if it moves, i just drag it back to the center line. it works well for me.

To use rotary I move Y to centerline of my rotary, switch power to rotary, and enable rotary in software.
switching back is just as simple. Switch power to Y, press reset on controller to re-home it, and disable rotary in software.

You can leave the driver powered and just switch the pulse and direction signals. I just tried it ( unplugged the Y axis from the controller and left the driver powered ), Y axis is being held as expected. Now the pulse and direction can drive the rotary. The Rotary can have its own power connection separate from the Y axis.

There’s no reason to leave the Y axis powered while running a rotary on another axis

I agree, the detent torque seems to be enough to make sure the Y axis does not wander and there is no real external influence to make it want to. Though, if one were worried about something happening, you can leave the driver powered and the axis is better locked in place.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.