Black and Red Cinese laser with RDC6442G controller - focusing

Just set up my new to me 100W Chinese red and black laser. Read through the manual to get an idea of how to use the controller. Have no idea how to focus the lens. Anyone familiar with this machine that can help me out? Says auto manual focus on other controller info, If trayis up and I put wood on it, how much of a gap should there be? Apreciate the help!

Congratulations on your new machine. Regardless of whether you have autofocus or not, you should decide/find out what your focus is with the different lenses. One of the easiest and most accurate ways to find the focus point is a ramp test. Try searching for it on YT and you will be guided through the test. Once you have found your specific focal points, they must be entered in Ruida as your Z zero point. You also probably got a test piece with the machine which represents the focus distance from the nozzle to the surface of the work piece which can be used. (note if you change the lens you also need to change this test piece/make a new one) But I prefer a ramp test, in that at least to find out if this test piece fits your machine.

ps. to start with your machine, you can get by with manual focus until you become familiar with the machine/manual.

Thanks so much. I did watch videos on ramp test and will run one thismorning. Bought unit used and there is no piece to measure with nor do I know what lens is on it. I’m sure it’s whatever comes with the machine, guessing 1.5inch or 2 inch. Thanks for the info on the zero point Will figure that out today too :slight_smile:

So a ramp test is perfect for finding out which lens you have and for making a distance piece. :+1:

1 Like

Did the machine not come with a spacer block? The block was attached to the keys. It was roughly 18mm. Every machine is different. That’s how mine came.

No. Bought it used. has thekey for the pass through but no block

If it has auto focus, like you said, it’s simple. The laser head will have a micro switch on it. If it doesn’t, it’s not auto-focus. I have a blue and white 100 watt chinese, so probably the same. On the controller, pres the Z/U button, you should see the menu change and auto focus will be the last entry on the 1st column. Place whatever you are trying to focus underneath the silver ( or black if well used ) button by the laser head, and press the down arrow key until the autofocus is highlighted. When you press the enter key, it should auto focus.