Blurring/feathering edges of photos/images

Before I start, I need to say I’m ‘very new’ to lasering and thus Lightburn. I want to blur or feather the edges of photographs. I’ve adjusted the image in Adobi Illustrator, but when I import it, it’s back to normal. (I’m new to AI too btw!!!) I’ve seen a post from 2020 that’s now closed re this topic, but sadly, I’m none the wiser. So… Firstly, is this even possible? and Secondly, how on earth do you do it? Please keep any instructions simple… the simpler the better! Cheers

Welcome to the forum…

Let me point out that photographs on a laser are probably the most difficult thing there is to do… However, it’s also very popular… and can be done… At the material end of things, you have to keep in mind it works like a printing press, black & white or laser on, laser off… You make images from dither patterns, like a newspaper… It’s even much more difficult to do grayscale work…

The best video I’ve seen was done by Laser Everything and uses some very good graphics and explanations of how to set up the proper dpi/lpi (resolution) for any laser with any material… Although done with a fiber, the process is the same for any laser.

I suggest you watch it… Doing any kind of photo/fill work will require you to know the best dpi/lpi, so it’s a win win for you…

I’ve done this, but not enough to be a wizard at it…

I do the original feathering in Gimp, a photo editor… I also do dodge/burn type image manipulation. Lightburn has great image features, but it’s not image software, like in a photograph.

You can import it into Lightburn and use the adjust image (right click selected image) and use those tools to help refine it…

It’s helpful to us if you copy the link and post it… I have no idea of which one you refer…

You can paste a link directly or highlight word or group of words and click the link icon in the tool bar… That will allow you to associate the words with the link…

Always use the preview… it will save you much time and money…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to respond Jack. Sorry it’s taken me a while to come back to you, but I’ve been working through some of your points. The link to the ‘Laser Everything’ guy was extremely interesting and answered a lot of my conundrums re what the settings actually do!
I’ve only been lasering for about 8-9 weeks, and I bought the machine with a specific business format in mind, so I’ve kind of skipped all the basic stuff and launched into photos! With a lot of trial and error I’ve produced some fab results (if I say so myself! haha) but slate was a tricky one - having worked through some of your suggestions and links I’ve managed to get an extremely decent image on slate now, so thank you so much for that! I’m still struggling with the blur/feather issue. I’ve done the feathering in Adobi Illustrator, but when I import it in to Lightburn, there are two elements. The original image sits on top and is absolutely normal, but behind it is a white box with blurred edges, but I can’t ‘marry’ the two together.
This is the link to the message I was referring to in my first post. They refer to ‘transparencies’ in this, but I can’t find anywhere that suggests you can do this in Lightburn.

If I could master this feathering I’d be one very happy lady indeed!! So if you have any further thoughts, please let me know.
Cheers
Karen

Did you read the response from Oz, in the link you provided?

Keep in mind that Lightburn is really a laser control program, not really a program to manipulate images… What it does have is pretty amazing. If you want to manipulate photographs with the best tools you have to use a photographic manipulation program, not a laser control program.

I have not had issues using the transparent background with Gimp… Don’t really know if it will solve your problem.

I run Linux, so I use Gimp, it also runs on Windows, free and open source. I use the transparent background when I use it for Lightburn. Don’t know how it works with your application. Seems there has to be data there for it to know what to do…

If you find something that you think would benefit the user, you can post it in feature suggestions and the group will vote on it…

Good luck… let us know how you do

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.