Brand New,seeking guidance

Hey guys my name is Ken, I am a full-time leatherworker. I recently bought a omtech 50watt . I am just looking for some recommendations on cutting leather out with as little char as possible

All the YouTube vids I watched, have drastically different opinions . While I know its a lot of trail and errors was hoping to find others on here with a ton of experience to help me close the gap between learning and getting frustrated

You will learn what works best for your particular machine and type of leathers… I don’t do leather, can’t handle the smell of burning bodies…

Try this link and see if it will get you ‘in the ballpark’. You can search the site for leather and see if you can find something more specific to what you are doing…

I have a ‘line’ that is about 100mm. When I get a new material and I want to learn some values for engraving/cutting I run the line on a ‘end’ of the material. You can use the Ruida panel and adjust the speed and power you are applying… if you try and cut and it doesn’t go through you can easily bump the power up and do another line next to the first…

Machining of any type is dependent on the speed of the tool rotation and the type of bit along with the the feed rate of the material passing the tool. With lasers we kind of swap them names around but the process is the same… The ‘tool’ is your laser and it’s ‘speed’ is whatever power you are using, the feed rate is speed in whatever units… might sound a bit confusing … but it’s always ‘speeds & feeds’… for best machining operations…

What this means is that there are many power/speed (percent power/speed of the head) combinations that will produce the cut, but you have to fine tune it to get the ‘best’ combination of the two and it will vary by operating temperature/material/laser…

I find most of my ‘cutting’ does best with air assist… this doesn’t hold true with acrylic, but it’s a ‘general’ statement. There is a major difference between no air and 60lbs of air when cutting mdf… Clueless about leather…

Good luck… let us know what you figure out…

:smile_cat:

Thank you for taking the time out to respond. thank you for all the tips. I am still learning . currently trying to realign my camera as its a bit off. I am starting to understand more however its still a lot to process

Are you cutting veg tan leather? if you are tooling then probably. I used to cut leather with the laser, but as I was doing dozens to hundreds of pieces at a time, I couldn’t give the time to cleaning up the edges, so I now use cutting dies instead, much cleaner edges. 90% of my work is engraving the leather on my lasers though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.