Bug in new version?

5 out of 14 glasses have this glitch. I’ve run 100s of these glasses before the last update with no issue. I don’t think it’s a mechanical issue.

Looking at the photo, it appears that your glass slipped on the rotary. If you look at it closely, you can see where the design is doubled up as it engraved the area twice.

1 Like

Probably, Seems odd that 4 of 14 did that in the same place when I run allot of these mugs with no issue. Rotary tool seems fine but I’ll go through it. just checking to see if others were having similar issues.

thanks,

As a follow-up, how exactly are you sending the job to the machine? Are you running “Start” from LightBurn for each and every glass, or are you using “Send” to upload the job and run it from the controller? How are you connected to the machine? USB, or Ethernet?

I’m running them from the engraver. I usually run the first one from LightBurn via USB and then hit start on the Ruida controller for the rest if there are no changes. I looked at the failed mugs again this morning. It’s possible that they slipped but it doesn’t seem likely. I’ll have to experiment some before I stick someone’s Stanley tumbler in there.

OK, that’s why I asked the question. Once you transfer the initial file to the controller, LightBurn is 100% out of the picture. The controller is running the file that’s already in it’s memory. So, how could it be an issue with LightBurn? If you were starting the job each and every time from LightBurn, which would transfer the job to the controller each time, there could be some communication issues or something, but in this case, LightBurn isn’t involved any longer. Just my 2cents, for what it’s worth.

Another question would be do all the doubled up etch marks occur in the same precise location?

If LightBurn is doing something differently in the latest version maybe there’s a hiccup somewhere in the file that causes it to malfunction over time. IDK, everything is as I always run it except, I upgraded LightBurn.

Another test to isolate and see if the latest release is the issue, would be to roll back to an earlier known-working version for you. You can find a complete list in our older version (← Click this) library.

I guess the other question would be what version did you upgrade FROM and TO? Do you have a lot of files stored in your Ruida controller? Storing a lot of files in the controller tends to make them do some wacky things at times too.

Any chance these are molded mugs with a parting line that may change somewhat in size/shape?

Glass Dollar Tree beer mugs. They’re not perfectly uniform but nothing crazily out of spec.

1 Like

Had EXACTLY the same issue after upgrading to version 1.4.03 on a Windows 7 computer. Went back to 1.4.02 and problem went away. On our other setup on a Windows 11 computer and other laser, but same make, we went right up to version 1.4.05 and no issues. We then got rid of the Windows 7 machine and bought an HP with Windows 11 (refurbished) from BestBuy. Working perfectly. Thundelaser technicians worked with me for a month before we tried swapping it out, which was dumb on my part since we knew it worked on the other setup. Hope I am not adding confusion to this mess.

BTW - Dollar store and Ikea glasses are the best for engraving!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.