Burn acrilic. With what?

Hello friends. I would like to ask you if there is any way to engrave transparent acrylic with a 5w violet laser. The light passes through the acrylic and does not burn it, so what is needed to achieve engraving. Regards.

I have not done acrylic but have done glass and I had to paint it so the laser could engrave it. I dont know if I would paint acrylic put I’m sure there is another option. Maybe put a piece of paper over it and see if that works.

Basically, you cannot. Acrylic will not absorb the wavelength of a violet laser. This is why most acrylic processing is done with a CO2 laser which emits a wavelength of light that acrylic does absorb.

Thank you very much for your answer and there will be no LED that emits with that wavelengt?

Short answer: No. There’s nothing on the market that would work as a drop in replacement to the diode laser module you have and be able to reliably cut acrylic.

Maybe experiment with some options. My curiosity is peeked wondering what the results would be if you were to try some things just to see what happens:

• mask the acrylic with painter’s tape, masking tape, or transfer tape. Hypothesis: tape absorbs laser, heats up, burns, gums up on the acrylic, assists in absorbing laser… ??? At a minimum, the heat will leave some mark (maybe).

• use ceramic tile as a surface on your bed. Focus the laser to the tile. Place acrylic on the ceramic. Mirror the engraving job in lightburn. Run job.

I have no idea what the result will be for either of these, but hopefully they inspire some ideas.

I’ve had limited success with deep blue and black 1mm acrylic. It gives a rough and melted edge, after many, many passes.

Nothing diode will mark clear acrylic - it’s a window to the beam, it just passes right through.

Thank you all very much for your responses

yes i have tried to do that and it certainly marks the acrylic but it has a very bad texture.
thanks to everyone.

One person haas posted recently that using molybdenum disulphide spray with a diode works to etch glass, maybe it will work with acrylic?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.