Burn/Scorching when using Ortus LM3

Hi All
I have just received an Ortus LM3 and having issue dialing in the settings, i cut 3.2mm ply without any any marks with my LM2-Pro using 100mm and 100%, but whatever speed/power combination i use with the LM3, it leaves burn/scorch marks (no problem cutting), any suggestions?

Both units are using Air Assist.

thanks

Up the speed, down the power. And double check the focus.

1 Like

Do you have air assist?

Hi, yes has air assist, cuts fine, just marks the wood.

Hi Jim, that’s the route I’ve been going down, can make it worse, but cannot seem to get clean cuts without marking the wood, tried turning power down to 50% doesn’t cut through, but still marks, and trying speeds 200 through to 500. With focus I can make it worse, just not any better

Have you tried other pieces of plywood? Could it be moisture in that piece of ply?.

1 Like

Hi Jim and all

Yes, tried a few bits of wood, even using the same wood on both the LM2 and LM3, the issue appears to be only on the LM3.

Have tried using the compressor on the LM2 (in case my new ortus one wasn’t up to it)

Hi All

On Jim’s suggestion i was checking the focus, and on much close inspection, the bean produced seems to be more are a t shape than the usual, also the laser lense appear to have an imperfection, could this be the issue, please see photos.

Has anyone else got an LM3 they can compare to tell me if this is normal (have logged a ticket also with Gil, so hopefully get an official response soon)

Not good, that’s most certainly your issue. That spot is being scattered all over the place.

Thanks for coming back Jim, will pass it back to Ortur. ,:disappointed: