Calibrating mm per rotation

I have an Ortur rotary. The rollars are 19.6 mm in diameter. When I set the circumference for a straight sided tumbler and run the test, it turns about 30% past the one revolution mark. I find I have to keep lowering the actual circumference until the test hits the mark. I also tried changing the rollers 50mm just to see what would happen but there was no change whatsoever.
I would like to input the exact roller size and glass circumference and have it line up properly.
Suggestions?

A Roller style Rotary does not care what the circumference of your item is… it is only concerned with the diameter of your roller wheels (or tubes if a hotdog style). Once this is established correctly, it doesn’t matter if you put a carrot or a watermelon on the wheels, it will always rotate the item the exact distance you tell it to… based on where the item contacts the rollers. (Sorry for the food reference but I was searching for two different cylindrical objects that everyone would relate to.)

The actual ‘circumference’ of an item is only important when using a Chuck style Rotary… since it is turning the object based on its Center and has to calculate linear movement out where the laser hits the road, so to speak. A small movement, will produce a greater movement on the outside of the watermelon than that carrot. This is why you need to know the circumference on a Chuck Rotary.

Lightburn includes the Circumference calculator as a ‘tool’ in the dialog box… but it does not affect the rotation. In my opinion, a separate dialog box for each type of Rotary would save some confusion.

This is generally known as surface speed.

How would I make a tool layer outlining my circumference without calculating it… so I disagree. You should learn how this works or you will forever have issues.

I shouldn’t have to change the device type to a chuck to have access to these calculations… Talk about added confusion…

My vote is let them be confused, I shouldn’t have to pay for their ignorance of how their equipment operates.

:smile_cat:

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
So once the rollers are set correctly it’s the image size that determines the rotation?
What can I set so that the TEST button rotates exactly one revolution?

If you haven’t already this maybe worth a watch

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.