Camera Alignment and calibration

Atomstack AC1 Maker Camera, Ikier K1 Pro 24W, MacBook Pro M1

I cannot get the camera calibrated.

When I run the camera alignment it takes dozens of attempts because I constantly get either pattern not recognized or the score isn’t good enough. I constantly have to move the pattern around for it to be recognized. When the pattern is recognized the scores are barely passable. (I am placing the pattern on cardboard I painted white so LightBurn isn’t confused by the bed). When, I finally am able to get the camera aligned, I cannot calibrate for the size of my bed because the laser goes out of bounds and hits the limit stops. When This happens, I have to re-home the laser and start the calibration again. So I set for a smaller bed and can run the calibration. After completion, I get the above result. I have tried adjusting the laser in the camera console. (See screenshot of test conducted) I posted about this under a camera alignment topic similar to this. The reply I got, which I wasn’t notified about until 28 days later, suggested I start a new topic.

Considering the amount of posts on camera alignment and calibration, I would think Lightburn would address the issue. And this forum hasn’t been of any help finding an answer. It makes no sense that the forum won’t at least post the issue raised even if it closed it save time of not having to click the link to see if the issue is applicable let alone provide an answer. The forum should also have prompts for the equipment and operating system being used. An answer for an enclosed CO2 laser doesn’t help when I have an open diode laser.

This is indicative that something in the conditions are not very good. Size of pattern, angle, uncluttered view and lighting are some of the most important conditions. Ideally you’d have bright diffuse ambient light and a completely uncluttered background.

If you’re having difficulty with this I’d suggest doing the lens calibration away from the machine and hand-hold the calibration pattern.

If you still can’t get good scores then post some screenshots of the lens calibration process for review.

The size of the alignment pattern can be changed using the Scale factor on the alignment target creation screen. Change the size until the frame fits the largest possible area of your bed.

If you’re ever hitting the limits that implies one of the following:

1. Your machine is not homing correctly
  2. The controller is losing track of position either due to lost steps or manual movement of the laser head
  3. Soft limits are not enabled on the controller
  4. The laser area is improperly configured in LightBurn
  5. You are ignoring warning messages from LightBurn

Are any of these conditions true in your case?

Your adjustments are far too large for this to be workable.

The calibration process is the same for both.

“Doing the lens calibration away from the machine.” I don’t understand.

The camera needn’t be mounted or associated with the laser in any way to do the lens calibration. This can be done anywhere.

This is in contrast to camera alignment that depends on the relationship of the camera to the laser in terms of position and orientation be fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.