Camera and large 4x8 bed laser

Just purchased a large 4x8ft open bed laser and would LOVE to be able to use the camera on it. There is a perfect spot above the laser to mount a camera from the ceiling but was wondering would it even work or be usable?

Is there a max size bed that the camera can accommodate? Also can the camera be switched to run in portrait vs landscape?

I suspect you could create a mount of some sort, with a servo or a locking bracket that would rotate the camera, but you’d have to re-calibrate the camera settings each time you switched orientation. The camera operates with respect to the bed, which doesn’t change orientation.

With such a large table, you’d have to have a pretty high resolution camera. I switched to the 8 mp version for my 500x700 bed and it was a great improvement. For your monster bed (1200 x 2400), I think you’d want something close to a 32 mp camera or higher.

Finding a USB camera like that and one that works with Lightburn would be quite an accomplishment. I understand (but could be incorrect) that Windows 10 and compatible cameras are easier to manage than those with older versions of the OS.

It could always be rotated as the orientation of the laser is portrait not landscape. I also dont need the camera to be super accurate but within say a few MM would be ideal. I have two lasers that are better for etching/engraving. This one would more be for seeing if something will fit on the sheet or not, and doing some more advanced nesting.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.