Camera for use with D1 Pro 20W with extension kit

I’m still trying to figure out if there is any camera that I can use with my setup. I have the D1 Pro 20w with the extension kit. I built an enclosure for it with multiple exhaust fans because of the fumes, smoke etc. With the lid closed, there is approximately 14" of head clearance and everything I’ve read indicates more clearance is required. Would I really have to have the lid opened to use a camera? That would totally defeat the purpose of having an enclosure to begin with. I’m pretty confused but I would really like to get a camera to allow me to do the laser positioning without having to manually do it. Just looking for some clarity so I can decide whether I’m wasting my time trying to find a camera that would work.

You could attempt to get an extremely wide angle lens but you’d have to run the math to determine how wide a lens you would need for the bed size and camera height. I think you’ll have a hard time finding anything close to that though.

In what way would it defeat the purpose? Normally you’d open the lid, update your overlay, and close the lid when you actually want to burn.

Maybe I’m wrong but most camera stands attached to the laser frame, meaning I would have to remove it or lower it whenever I closed the lid. Next time I used it, wouldn’t I also have to recalibrate it then? Also, I wouldn’t be able to monitor the job which is very important from my viewpoint, nor would I be able to take pics or videos of the engraving in process. The only solution to that would probably be to have two cameras, but the cost/benefit just doesn’t make it worthwhile at this time.
The other possibility would be to use a camera that would be suitable for a standard size work area instead of the extended size. About 80% of my work is done in a standard size work area. But my understanding is that Lightburn won’t work or can’t calibrate the camera if the extension kit is installed. That’s okay. Doing it manually isn’t that big of a deal.

This changes things then yes. I thought you were saying that the camera would be mounted to a closing lid.

Any change in position or orientation of the lens relative to the machine would necessitate recalibration.

You can still view the job with the lid closed, just from a different angle.

Not sure where you got that but it’s not true. It does present its own challenges but can be done.

As an alternative, you can use an alternative workaround of creating a separate laser device that only has the standard work area and switch to that if you only want to use the camera for the standard area.

Thanks, but I think I’m just going to keep it as is for now. I’ll probably address this issue when I upgrade to a CO2 laser sometime down the road once I become more capable on the one I have.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.