Camera losing the right location

Why my LightBurn camera image mislocate the right place.
Even when I adjust it with x-shift and y-shift again after four or five times it shows wrong location?

Are you saying it’s changing after the fourth or fifth time in the exact same spot?

If so, that means the location of your camera or the relative position of the bed is changing over time.

You should be able to hit the overlay button repeatedly and get nearly identical results.

How is your camera fixed? What is its physical relationship to your laser structure/bed? Are they mechanically locked?

It’s pretty fixed and tight with screws. I’m pretty confident that relationship between laser machine and camera has zero chance to be variable. That’s why it makes me confused.

If you’re using x-shift y-shift. Is it possible those are changing?

Or, are you placing the objects on different parts of the workspace? If the latter, then it’s possible that the camera never had great calibration at that location.

Could you please show a photo of your camera setup?

Is the machine in any way secured to the enclosure?

Yes. I even marked its legs.

It’s a nice box you’ve made, congratulations.
It doesn’t look like there is movement in your camera setup.
If the box or camera position doesn’t change, I have no suggestions to explain or fix your problem.

Typically we see very wobbly camera mounts and people don’t understand that when the angle changes by just half a degree, the camera field of view moves by 7mm (at a mounting height of 333mm)

But as I said, when your camera or machine bed or focus height does not move, I have no explanation.

Agree with Bernd. I don’t see how the overlay would shift. However, it’s possible that calibration may not be consistent across the entire bed which might seem like a shifting overlay. Is that possibly what you’re seeing?

I think I found the reason of this problem.
Based on the table camera selection in LightBurn I’m not using right camera:
Screenshot 2024-01-28 225144

The camera selection in no way should affect repeatability of overlay location.

The camera selection help tool is mostly about helping identify the right model in terms of aspect ratio and FOV that will cover the area of the laser at a given height.

Can you provide more details with regard to the circumstances that this occurs and what exactly you are seeing?

I’m encountering an issue with the camera shot location in Lightburn. Each time I update the shot, it inconsistently changes to different locations. For instance, after updating the shot nearly 10 times, the location remains constant, but if I continue updating, the locations start varying again. Please refer to these three provided shots, among which only one displays the correct location:

I did some very careful comparisons of the live image in the Camera Control window and you can actually see very slight variations in the image that likely account for the difference in the overlay.

Do you have any active image processing going on that would potentially be changing the image?

Is the camera auto focus or manual focus?

Try disabling auto-exposure and auto-brightness. Does that change the outcome?

@berainlb , do you remember / do you know for which us and which cameras this option is available?

I believe this is only available if you are able to use the Custom Capture System for the camera. This is only available on Windows systems.

Thanks my friend, I just forgot about it for a moment :wink:
(I’m on Linux and MacOS only)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.