Camera Out Of Alignment Every Time

I’m sure this has been asked before but I can’t find the answer. I have an OMTech 50w with a 4mp 90 degree mounted in the lid. Overlays are updated when the lid is fully open.

I have performed both calibration routines.

When I

• Turn the laser on and start LB
  • Place a cross-hair target on the bed
  • Update the overlay
  • Move to the target

The red dot ( aligned ) is out.

If I then

• Laser a letter
  • Update Overlay
  • Use X/Y shift to move over the letter

from then on everything is fine.

Each time I I start the laser/LB I have to do that all again.

My expectation (misguided maybe ) is that once calibrated/aligned I can use the Set Laser Position and be bang on each time I start LB/laser.

Do I have an issue somewhere and thoughts are welcome or is this process typical?

Assuming the red dot is exactly aligned with the laser spot when the material is at the proper focus distance, then there remain a couple of critical gotchas:

• The camera must not autofocus
  • The camera must not move, even an itsy, after calibration
  • The lid must open to exactly the same position; loose screws in the gas strut pivots are killers
  • The material’s top surface must be at exactly the same level as when you calibrated the camera

With all that in mind, you should be able to get within half a millimeter or so of the target every time; better accuracy is aspirational.

If you need tighter accuracy, Print-and-Cut, done with precise target location, will become your friend.

Thanks for the reply

Point 1 : Not something I considered and will investigate
Point 2 : The camera is secure, but again I will consider that
Point 3 : This is one that has bothered me. I extend the lid all the way, but feel there is no guarantee it will be in the same place
Point 4 : I’m happy that the materials I use are all at the same level. This is part of my setup process.

In some cases I’m 5mm off, so .5 is a big jump in accuracy.

I will look into all the things you’ve mentioned

Thanks

Mine is stable enough, but other folks have added tension cables to hold it in position against the gas struts. Might be worth considering if the struts seem wobbly.

Yeah, something is definitely loose in there!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.