Can I draw a rectangle the dimensions of my work piece to tell light burn exactly where to engrave text?

As subject says, I have drawn a small rectangle within a larger rectangle to the metric dimensions of a wall cover plate. If I add text I want to engrave to this, in the exact location on the rectangle. Is there a way to ignore output on the rectangle but still use the rectangle as a reference to where exactly I want the text engraved?

Thanks,

-Mike

Place that rectangle on one of the two Tool Layers

Does this solution work for you?
If that rectangle is never cuted or engraved, you can assign a frame to it by selecting the rectangle (with selection tool) and then clicking on “T1” or “T2” in the layers bar.

Thanks, Ill give this a try this afternoon.

Ill have a look Kuth, are T1 and T2 layers the tool layers that RalphU suggested? Ill give it a try. Thanks

1 Like

It doesn’t even need to be one of the two tool layers. Any layer with output disabled can be a defacto tool/construction/alignment/reference/instruction layer.

Hello Chris,

So if I just set my lines not to output on the rectangle, but i have the text on the rectangle, the software will tell me laser the location of where i want the text on the “ignore output” rectangle?

I didn’t interpret it that way, but yes, it could be…

I don’t have an x-tool, so there may well be some idiosyncrasies…

Most people do this type of work in Absolute Coordinates.

Start here (and feel free to explore deeper into the documentation):

Don’t forget you can use the Preview Window to simulate the job and you can also run a job with the laser power set to something absurdly low.

If video is more your speed:

Rich (Louisiana Hobby Guy) has hundreds of helpful videos:

Hello everyone that responded. Setting the rectangle to the tool layer worked like a charm. Not sure why Xtools cant have this in their software, but from now on I will be learning Lightburn. Thank you all!

1 Like