Cant configure Start Points or framing

Hello there,

My name is Creg but you will see me as Lasernewb. I first of all would like to thank you for the incredible videos which have taught me so much already.

I have a Atomstack A5 Pro+ With no added limit switches. I have been using Lightburn with no real issues to speak of except for my starting position. Because I cannot home the machine I attempt to guess as best as I can. That was working until I wanted to start the latest project on the edge of my workspace. I downloaded the IWO JIMA DFX file from a users only area of a forum . After I set my parameters I try to frame it and that’s when it gets all wonky. The framing travels off the workspace and when I start the project it starts on a completely different area.

Here is my question. Can I set up my machine so it starts where I put it and frames where it is going to actually burn? How can I use the laser with pinpoint accuracy if I can’t find the pinpoint?’
I know there are a lot of variables to my questions and I truly believe a two minute phone call from one of you gurus would probably fix my issues, but that is fruitless.

Thank You in advance,

Creg

A few pointers:

1. Always start the machine with the laser head at front-left. This is considered manual homing. Starting position determines 0,0 position
  2. After startup, never move the position of the laser by hand. Always use jogging controls.
  3. Use Absolute Coords until you’re very familiar with the function of your laser and the various uses of the other “Start from” modes.

I do all of that already but still find it difficult to line up projects if its close. So just wondering why should I use absolute coordinates instead of Current Position? Its not like I can count on the coordinates if I dont have limit switches. I understand that limit switches provide stop based on coordinates, isn’t there a way to calibrate then stop the machine based on coordinates as well? Seems simple but I guess not.

Are you absolutely certain you’re following all the steps precisely? I’m questioning because the symptoms you’re describing should not occur at all if this were the case.

Or I’m missing something about what you’re describing.

This is one of the reasons why I’m questioning the process. If you manually home, then you would be able to count on the coordinates.

Current position by definition is basically, wherever I am right now, start from there. It’s inherently not repeatable across sessions. Absolute Coords allows you to have predictability about placement in workspace matching placement on laser bed. Since this is what you state you’re struggling with that’s a direct resolution to the struggles you’re having.

Again, what I’ve instructed should effectively get you this. If it does not, can you articulate two things:

1. What are you expecting to happen?
  2. What is it doing instead?