Can't even cut cardboard with TT TS2-20W!

I’ve just set up my TS2-20W laser and can’t even cut cardboard!

I used the recommended settings of 8000mm/m @ 50% power from the manual, set to auto focus and told it to cut. The laser never made it through to the other side. (Lightburn)

I ran it several more times and even after 8 passes it did not make it through. I checked focus and it still didn’t work.

I then used Lightburn’s material test and set it to 2000-10000 mm/m and 10-50% power.

Not a single one of the squares in the image made it through.

Just to recap

• I downloaded and installed the latest Lightburn settings from TT’s website.

• The piece is flat to the honeycomb

• I used the default ‘3mm’ auto-focus setting in Lightburn

• Checked the lens, it’s perfectly clean

• I’ve not used air assist. Not being able to cut cardboard with 20w laser shows there’s more issues than not using Air Assist.

• S-Max is set to 1000 in Lightburn

• I deleted the Lightburn settings, and re-imported from the memory stick that came with the laser.

What the hell could be wrong. It should cut through this like butter with 20w!

I believe that your autofocus did not autofocus on the cardboard.

Do a manual focus.
Slow way the heck down until you get a successful cut-through.
Get results, then apply more speed.

Do you have the cardboard suspended off the surface of the waste board? I use 1/4" stand offs with my 10w laser. 1800mm/m and about 85% power and one pass to get a cut on light cardboard. High density carboard (USPS priority mail conatiners) takes several passes to get a clean cut.

1/8" mdf takes 12 passes at 90% power and 1300 mm/m on my machine, irrc. It is possible - once you get the focus and speed and power and # of passes worked out.

Slow down. More power. For initial testing, it makes little sense to arbitrarily set a narrow speed and power range.

Lacking initial data and seeking to cut (not engrave), do 10x10 grid, set speed range from 100-5000 and power from 10-100%. If any region/quadrant looks plausible, run another test using the speed/power in that range to narrow. If it still won’t cut at 100mm/min @ 100%, add passes. If it still won’t cut after adding passes, consider a different material/machine/process.

That’s super general and plenty of exceptions exist, but that’s how these things go.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.