Change laser spot size?

You could also mount your laser head rotated 45 degrees .

I’m going through this with LT at the moment, Im at about email #24 and after looking at all spot x/y dimms we ‘may’ be about to settle on the 5w (for detail) & 30w (for speed, depth, and I think
defocus broad stoke shading) using the K1max frame & two power supply’s
it is what it is!

With all this talk about spot size, I think we are missing something.
There seems to be no standard or common material as the target.
What would give the greatest possible resolution? Anodized aluminum?

It seems items that burn or melt would be poor targets. If I have a 0.15mm beam on wood, is that not more than adequate for possible detail? Yes, I know, it depends! :joy:

@jkwilborn @Bulldog Yes, you are right. I should have been more clear. I meant that in the common (hobby) diode laser business, there is no laser module that can get below 0.06 mm. An Optlaser module is a different story, but in this case, the module alone is pricier than two full-featured diode lasers packages of the Chinese hobby class. :slight_smile:
As usual - nothing is impossible, if you can pay for it :wink:

3 Likes

As one of the Robber Barons observed, if you must ask how much it costs, you can’t afford it. :grin:

3 Likes

Die Breite des Laserstrahles kann man ja nur genau auf eloxiertem Material (zB. Aluminium) messen. Auf Holz ist es viel zu ungenau. Ich selbst habe keine Möglichkeit solch eine prĂ€zise Messung durchzufĂŒhren. Und bei 0,06mm kann man durchaus von prĂ€zise sprechen. Ein Messschieber scheidet aus da er nur 0,1mm misst - manche können auch in 0,05mm Schritten messen. Eine Micrometerschraube scheidet auch aus, da man beim Laser-Strich keinen Anschlag hat an dem man gescheit messen kann. Man mĂŒsste sich auf sein “Augenmaß” verlassen. Also kommt nur noch eine optische Messmethode in Frage. Und da bin ich leider raus.
Dennoch erscheinen mir “Erfahrung” und “Ich schĂ€tze 
” nicht die richtigen Wege zu sein um die Aussage eines Herstellers widerlegen zu wollen. Wenn ich falsch liege, kannst du mich hier gerne davon Überzeugen, dass du einen Laserstrahl prĂ€ziese vermessen kannst.
Bis dahin halte ich mich an die Angaben des Herstellers, die mit Sicherheit nicht auf SchÀtzungen beruhen.

I think you should modify the drawings by inserting the cutting dimensions. Horizontally and vertically you should have no problems correcting the measurements, with diagonal cuts, you must consider the diagonal of the rectangle’s light, if I understood correctly it should be 0.1mm.

For the future, we hope they update the program to reduce this problem.

(I don’t think this discussion will lead very far and doesn’t help much in the original sense, but or completenes, I’d like to add this:

Korrekt.

Genau.

GrundsĂ€tzlich natĂŒrlich auch richtig. Aber ich wĂŒrde meinen Erfahrungsschatz schon als immens bezeichnen und habe auch sehr viele Diskussionen mit Personen hinter mir, die solche Laser bauen. Gleichzeitig habe ich auch sehr viele Laser getestet, die von den Herstellern Fabel-Angaben bekommen. Sowohl was die Geschwindigkeit angeht, als auch die Spot-GrĂ¶ĂŸe. Gut vergleichen kann man das bei zwei Modulen desselben Herstellers, die zumindest nach den Angaben die gleiche Spot-GrĂ¶ĂŸe haben und man am Ende auf eloxiertem Aluminium sieht, dass der stĂ€rkere Laser doppelt so dick ist wie der andere. Nach den Angaben sollen sie aber gleich sein. Daher bin ich mir sehr sicher, dass die selbst auch nicht messen, sondern sich nur Zahlen raussuchen, die gut zu ihrem Marketing passen.

Die Diskussion wĂ€re ja sehr einfach zu beenden, wenn die Hersteller auch nur einmal einen Nachweis fĂŒr ihre Spot-GrĂ¶ĂŸe liefern wĂŒrden, was sie aber noch nie gemacht haben.

Somit steht natĂŒrlich Aussage gegen Aussage, aber ich bin auch noch nie widerlegt worden, einzig durch Messungen wie von Nicky, der allerdings auch ein QualitĂ€ts-Modul benutzt hat, wo der Hersteller auch echte Daten raus gibt.

Correct.

Exactly.

Basically correct, of course. But I would describe my wealth of experience as immense and I have also had many discussions with people who build such lasers. At the same time, I have also tested a great many lasers that are given fabulous specifications by the manufacturers. Both in terms of speed and spot size. You can make a good comparison with two modules from the same manufacturer, which at least according to the specifications have the same spot size and in the end you can see on anodized aluminium that the stronger laser is twice as thick as the other. According to the specifications, however, they should be the same. So I’m very sure that they don’t measure themselves, but just pick out figures that fit in well with their marketing.

The discussion would be very easy to end if the manufacturers were to provide proof of their spot size, which they have never done.

So, of course, it’s a case of statement against statement, but I’ve never been refuted either, only by measurements like Nicky’s, who also used a quality module where the manufacturer also gives out real data.

Lots of great advice here. I really appreciate it all, even if I don’t understand some of it. I’ll do an interval test (need to do that anyway) and try some of the other suggestions and see what happens.
Thanks to all.

turn your work 45 degrees it cancels out

I just bought a stack of anodized biz cards for this very reason. Not to prove Sculpfun right or wrong because they buy the lasers, but to know what precision I can obtain from my 2 machines under ideal conditions.

As for calipers, my digital caliper indicates to 0.01mm and I can make it move in 1/100ths of a mm. It is nice to know I have that precision available if my hand ever stops shaking.

I concur with @misken on this. Those that want to challenge my opinion just take a look at his website. You can learn a LOT there.

3 Likes