Choosing the behavior of multiple passes

I’m curently working with some plywood that is not quite ideal for laser cutting (marine ply with phenolic glue). It’s hard to cut, and it does not burn cleanly. It has a tendency to char a lot on the edges. If my cuts are too slow, then the edges start to burn away because of the air assist. To minimize this, I can do a lot of quick passes, so that the edges have time to cool down between passes. This is clearly not ideal, but it works quite well and I can’t find any marine ply without phenolic glue around where I leave, at least not if I’m not willing to buy a full stack of it.

Anyway, my issue is with small features, let’s say I have a small hole to cut for a screw. splitting the cut in multiple passes does not help me in that case, because the head stays above that small area during the whole time, so I get a lot of charring and the hole turns out quite bigger and weaker.
I also can’t simply add a delay between passes because then the head would stay above the burnt area and the air assist would keep the edge burning.

The parts I need to cut have a lot of these holes so I think the solution would simply be to do one pass for each holes, then start over again X times. But this is not the way multiples passes are done in lightburn, at least by default. Right now the laser will do X passes on the 1st hole, then X passes on the 2nd hole, and so on. So it’s not helping me here.
The only solution I’ve found is to set only one pass and run the job X times, which is quite annoying.
Is there another solution ?
Thank you

I think the way you’re doing it (run job multiple times) is probably the best way. You can also adjust the focus then between passes which may perhaps help keep the cut cleaner?

You could create a duplicate (or 2 or 5) of the items you want multiple passes, change the layer that they are on, and then either turn off or play around the Optimized Cut Path settings to get it them processed in a particular order.

Thank you for your suggestions. I understand that this is quite a specific need, so it’s normal to have to fiddle around a bit.
Have a nice day

I ended up choosing to continue with the solution of running the job multiple times, but since it was annoying (had to do it 20 times for each pieces), I built a small macro that asks me the duration of one job (I run it manually the first time to measure that), and then it just simulates a mouse click on the start button, waits for the specified duration, and starts over again for the X left passes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.