Christmas presents for my children

For Christmas, I wanted to do personalized presents to my children (a daughter and two sons, ages 21-25), combined with my hobby.

I took images from their favorite show / book, and I vectorized them by hand. I am not fan of autotrace, in Inkscape it produces nodes that cannot be editable (they are converted to Bézier curves on the fly with odd results sometime) and too numerous (I can simplify, of course), and I spent as much time at editing the result than doing it myself. Plus the designs are quite complex and have some constraints, like avoiding islands. I had to simplify at some places, to think of light and darkness, to avoid too thin lines and details that wouldn’t be properly cut, etc.
Long design phase, but that’s part of the fun.

I cut the designs on paper and cardboards to ensure they are viable (had to adjust things) before cutting the plywood (2 mm). The simplest one have been painted after engraving, but I preferred to paint before for the other two, fearing that primer would clog the finer details.

The reference images:

I had to finish some cuttings by hand, particularly on the Berserk one, it was a long process too (I could have recut it, but I am obstinate…).
I then put the boards on white cardboard, into acrylic frames. It looked good… :slightly_smiling_face: The gifts were appreciated.

3 Likes

Very Nice!

1 Like

Very nice, indeed. I did two pieces for family and lost count of the hours invested.

1 Like