Chromebook and Topwisdom

Hello.

I have upgraded to a Lenovo S340 Chromebook. I have installed the Linux beta, and the latest version of Lightburn. Looks wonderful. Slick in operation and easy to use. I’ve been using Lightburn for some time now on my ageing Ubuntu machine.

Question… I haven’t been able to connect to the laser cutter. (Topwisdom) During install I didn’t see any reference to com ports etc.

Have I missed a step, or will this combination simply not work?

Thanks.

I had a Top Wisdom, it’s in the box the Ruida came in. As far as I know, Top Wisdom is ONLY straight windows. Chrome is not windows, I believe it’s a second cousin to Android.

I am not sure where you got this impression, but it is not true. LightBurn offers support for the TopWisdom controller family in all available OS versions we provide - Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of LightBurn DSP support TopWisdom.

Make sure you have the dialout group set up according to the docs:
https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/Installation.html#LinuxInstallation

The stock software they offer with the controller is Windows only, but the controller itself couldn’t care less what operating system you use - it only cares if it gets commands in the correct format.

1 Like

Thank you Oz!

That is the info I was chasing. I’ll be busy today, but I’ll let you know how I go when I get there.

I’ve been using Linux for years now, but the command line still challenges me.

Cheers.

Eric.

I know Lightburn works great with Linux and Mac, but the Top Wisdom software itself is strictly windows. And you need the Top Wisdom software to do some of the basic settings before you start send it work via Lightburn.

The command line huh? I can remember when DOS 2.0 came out and I was pissed I had to go get one of those dam 3.25" floppy drives instead of my 5.5"! Hell, I still had an old 11" drive around.

Such as? There are a couple machine settings not exposed yet by LightBurn, but unless you’re digging through those, you shouldn’t need it.

Hey Oz, It’s been a while since I pulled my Top Wisdom, bet thing I ever did by the way. I seem to remember there were a few machine settings that I had to go direct to the controller and AutoLaser to set. But that was also back when you were still in early Beta so you may be accessing them now.

Do you access the X and Y calibrations screens on Ruida and Top Wisdom?

Yes, the step lengths and a decent number of the other settings are in there now. The next release cleans up a few entries I got wrong.

It’s a never ending project. Will be interesting to see what Ruida does with their camera option in the .48 release. Lots of buttons, but no instructions to go with it. I think they released it a bit early, they pulled the .48 from their web site and put the .47 back up. The .48 will recognize my built in camera on the laptop, but not the Logitech web cam.

Take care and always enjoy your work.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.