Cleaning the mesh cutting table

I am searching for a method to clean the mesh cutting table of my laser.

If it’s honeycomb or some type of ‘mesh’ you usually have to soak them in a solvent.

I have a flat sheet of steel. It’s easy to wipe off after every use. Doesn’t stink…

:smiley_cat:

For steel, some folks like LA Awesome followed by a hot water rinse and drying with a hot air gun or hair dryer (to avoid rusting).

2 Likes

I must apologize, my “request for a cleaning method” was vague.
I asked a similar question a while ago and I was directed to a variety of possibilities but I was in a hurry and did not save that quest; no such luck this search.
The mesh, or honeycomb, in question, is aluminum.
I found internet searches on the subject (u tube) not reliable and I had hoped the folks around lightburn may offer better insite.
I have tried a variety of eco friendly products (some not so friendly) with limited results.
I would prefer a reasonable eco solution, otherwise I will resort to acetone, MEK, or some other volatile solution.
Help me, please.

In the US, Dollar Stores sell LA Awesome. Spray on the honeycomb, let sit- then rinse it right off! If your honeycomb is aluminum, and you use too aggressive a cleaner (caustic oven cleaner) it will permanently etch the metal and make it very difficult to clean later.

If you are US, I use Zep Purple and water 1:5. Cleans the MDF resin off in just a few minutes. I use a pet cage tray for my bed, and a short section of plastic gutter for my rails.

Are you sure the honeycomb is aluminum? Mine attracts magnets pretty strongly so I think it’s actually steel and not aluminum. Not sure if yours is the same.

Mine is steel as well, but there are aluminum ones out there too. Funny, my steel honeycomb has an aluminum channel around it.

You guys are correct, the honeycomb mesh is steel, I knew3 it was steel; I regularly use magnets on the mesh for placement purposes.
Why I called it aluminum?; I have had aluminum on the brain for over a week.
Thanks for the correction.
Aluminum and steel generally don’t get along with one another, tend to corrode each other if subject to regular moisture.
thanks for the suggestions.

The honeycomb that came with my machine is aluminum. It was suspended on aluminum bars with a point up ‘edge’…

Ditched it for a rolled steel plate.

Easy to clean and is much safer, fire wise and it doesn’t stink up the machine. I also have much better air flow around the material.

FWIW, LA Awesome contains about 1 % sodium hydroxide, so eventually that will corrode the aluminum.

We use sodium hydroxide in a concentrated form to clean aluminum air conditioner fins, in the HVAC industry. We rinse well, and use PPE when using concentrate of NAOH. I don’t think the amount oh NAOH in Awesome will corrode your aluminum that much.
Charlie

1 Like

I have used a mild solution of citric acid to clean the honeycomb bed for about the last 10 years, and it cleans the deposits from wood very well. Then use a jetwash to remove the solution and dry thoroughly. Always comes up really nice afterwards.

Ever seen the Honeycomb video from Russ? Put up with his British humor and watch it, it’s < 16 minutes…

1 Like

Sound advice there from Russ. I have heard many stories about acrylic catching fire when left unattended. When doing large batches, I take out the honeycomb and place the acrylic directly in the knifebed.

Jetwash? Product? Hi pressure sprayer? Nozzle setting? Something specific used to wash jets? (Being serious … :slightly_smiling_face:)

We place the honeycomb bed into a large plastic tray (the sort used for dog kennels) and apply a mild solution of citric acid (available from Amazon, eBay) using a brush, then flip over and do the other side. This will remove most of the deposits from cutting wood. After soaking each side for about 15 minutes each, then take out and rinse with clean water. We use a Karcher jetwash on a medium setting and that will clear away the remainder of the citric acid.

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:.

Use of a jetwash is not important - you can just as well use an ordinary hosepipe, which I did for years. The important bit is soaking the bed in citric acid solution, which is what dissolves the residue from cutting wood. A jetwash is just a little more convenient when it comes to cleaning off the citric acid.