Comgrow Z1 5w Diode laser keeps losing USB connection after some minutes

I just assembled an Comgrow Z1 5w laser engraver/cutter, and I use a Lightburn trial since that I only have an Macbook running on Catalina 10.15.7, and Lightburn is the only good option for Mac-users.

I manually had to add this GBRL- device in Lightburn.

But the usb-connection between my macbook and the Z1 keeps dropping after a few minutes. Sometimes i get disconnected after one minute, sometimes after five. If lucky i get 10 minutes. And suddenly the machine freezes and connection lost… I

t is very frustrating.

To reconnect I must close Lightburn and restart the programme. Sometimes I must restart my macbook even…

I tried:

• another usb-cable
  • another usb-port
  • installing CH340 drivers
  • installing FTDIusbserial drivers
  • understanding, but alas…

Has anyone an idea why this is happening?
And even better: Has anyone a possible solution??

Thanks in advance from Belgium!

1 Like

(In english below)
Désolé ami belge, perso j’ai eu le soucis avec un ortur, et changer de câble USB a réglé le soucis.
Je pense qu’il vaudrait mieux voir sur genre des groupes facebook d’utilisateurs de la marque.
Peut-être essayer avec un autre ordi ? Genre un sous un autre OS.

Sorry belgian buddy, I’ve got the same with an ortur, changing USB cable has worked.
Should be better to ask in places like facebook group for komgrow users.
Perhaps try with another computer ?

Thanks but…

• I do not have another computer…
  • I have tried with another USB cable but the same problem persists…

I now have successfully cut a coaster in about 22 minutes and all went well…

What i did was:

• reset SMC on my macbook (should reset the usb-ports)
  • in Lightburn/Edit/Machine Settings: changed $33 from value 1 to value 0

EDIT : I also set in Lightburn/Edit/Device settings the Transfer Mode to Synchronous, because I thought (and still think) it was a usb-buffering problem…

So for future users of this topic: maybe toggle the “proposed solutions” one by one :thinking:

This $33:0 was per Comgrow instructions, and should be related to the tilt sensor in the machine… Strange, because $33 is a PWM-frequency-setting…???

1 Like

I suspect Comgrow has introduced non-standard or rather repurposed unstandardized configuration parameters for their own purpose. So sounds like ultimately this was a case of the sensor raising an alarm and stopping the burn.

Did you ever get an error on-screen about this? How did Comgrow determine this as the fault?

Also, was the SMC reset necessary to fix this or was that precautionary?

No error screen sadly enough. Also all communication between lightburn and the ComgrowZ1 stopped, Lightburn kept “Busy” but frozen…

I got a rather strange mail in very quirky English (I also do not speak English natively, but my sentences are somewhat understandable, I may hope) from Comgrow referring - as good as I could understand with the help of some screenshots - to try and alter the state of $33 from 1 to 0

The SMC reset was maybe even not necessary after all. But hey, one should try the strangest things to get a bricked machine to live again :innocent:

Interesting how that worked out. Thanks for documenting the fix. I suspect this will pop-up for others as these devices make it into the market.

Also, your English is superb so well done.

+1 for this problem. I’m going to try out your fix.

Let us know if it solved your problem please :+1:

• I would suggest altering the lightburn usb buffer mode first.
  • If that doesn’t solve it, try the $33 setting.
  • The smc reset on the mac: I have my doubts if that was necessary…

Good luck

The USB mode was not enough. I needed to turn off the gyro.
I noticed the the whole device shakes a bit when the motor is engaged.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

I have to agree that the fix was to change to synchronous. I was having that same problem getting about a third of the way through several projects and it would lock up. now i just ran two other ones without a problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.