Communication With Controller Failed Error

I have an 80W Omtech with Ruida Controller running the latest version of lightburn on Mac OS. I am connected to my machine in Lightburn. I can move, cut, engrave, etc. But I want to set-up a rotart and to do so, I need to open “Machine Settings”. When I do, the panel is blank and reads “Communication with Controller Failed” despite I know it’s connected. I have restarted everything dozens of times, went through the whole FDTI driver fix for MAC and still wont read settings. I’m stumped.

1 Like

Never heard for this problem! However, I suggest you try to connect with ethernet cable. There are some tips in this forum on how to hook it up- search for ethernet connection. Here is Lightburn’s tip:

It’s always nice to know what version you have. If anyone reads this thread in the future they won’t know either. You can copy/paste from ‘help → about’

When you have a problem you can check the upper left corner of the laser window and see the connection status, should say ‘ready’. You can ‘right click’ on the ‘devices’ button to have lightburn attempt to reconnect.

I’d try these if you have an issue. Usually if it fails to read, the Ruida is waiting on something and maybe it isn’t in ‘idle’ mode. But if it says ‘ready’ on a reconnect it should read the configuration.

@patricr is ‘right arm (on)’ in that they best way is via Ethernet. Many use the usb-c → Ethernet adapter on the mac. I dumped the usb thing as fast as I could…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

I have version 1.1.04 .I figured it out and the problem and the solution was stupid simple! Maybe it’s a program glitch maybe I should have know but am a newbie so didn’t but either way it’s fixed now. My art board was empty when trying to pull machine settings and it errored every time. As soon as I placed art, it worked! I deleted the art, it pulled the error. Spent hours trying to trouble shoot and all I had to do was put something on the art board. Thank you for your response. Hopefully this feed will help someone else from not pulling their hair out!

My Ruida controlled engraver isn’t up and running yet so I haven’t seen this. It’s interesting to see this difference in the workflow between Ruida and GCode. Thanks for posting the solution.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Release: 20.04
LightBurn 1.2.00 Thu 2022-06-02 @ 13:12

I have no issue reading the machine settings with no artwork. I’m suspicious there was some other ‘gremlin’ involved. I read this data quite often as I switch machines. Never remember a problem without some kind of communication error. Never from no artwork.

Glad you’re up, anyway…

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.