Connecting Cloudray D100 chuck rotary

We just purchased a CR D100 chuck rotary attachment from Cloudray. It came with no documentation and the connection configuration was not included in the listing. The plug on the short separated segment of cord is what will plug into our rotary outlet, which leads to our rotary controller. This product’s configuration seems to assume that we will have the controller between the rotary tool and the plug, which I have not seen before. Trying to figure if I have to do some soldering, or if this is going to be compatible with my machines at all. Any insight would be welcome. Thanks.

Gotta love customer support from a nominally reputable company. :person_shrugging:

I do not have that rotary, so take all this as somewhat informed suggestions rather than Verified Truth™.

If your laser is similar to my OMTech, the Y axis motor cable goes through a round 4 pin “aviation connector” (like the one on the short cable in your picture) on its way to the stepper driver. The machine design, such as it is, unplugs the Y axis cable and plugs the rotary motor into that connector, so the existing Y axis motor driver now runs the rotary motor.

As you observe, the two green Phoenix connectors should plug into another stepper motor driver for the rotary, with the aviation connector going to the same signals going to the existing Y axis motor driver. This does you no good.

Assuming the aviation connector in your machine is inline with the stepper driver outputs, then you can remove the Phoenix connector from the rotary motor, dismantle the aviation connector, solder the wires into it, and have a plug-compatible connection.

This requires a dab hand with a soldering iron:

I’d be tempted to remove the Phoenix connectors, cut off the ferrules, splice the two sets of four wires together, and wrap some tape / heatshrink around the whole mess.

The gotcha will be matching the outputs of the stepper driver with the motor windings. Use a multimeter to find the pair of wires for each winding; a few ohms of resistance between them. Do that for both the Y axis motor (at the aviation plug) and the rotary motor, then match them up.

There is a 50% likelihood the rotary will rotate backwards, which you can fix by either mirroring or not mirroring the output.

The rotary motor will require different acceleration and speed settings, so you should save the existing Machine Settings before adjusting them for the rotary. You can then save the rotary settings and switch between the two files depending on what you’re doing.

Thank you for the quick & detailed response. It sounds as though your suggestion may be the same as my assumption, which is that we would cut off the green wire harnesses and just solder the wires of the two cord segments together, then plug into the four-pin outlet which leads to our stepper driver? Thanks.

That’ll work fine, albeit with a snake-eating-a-rabbit lump in the middle. You must still match the driver winding pairs with the motor pairs, because the various color codes will do you no good at all.

In poking around on Cloudray’s site, it seems you can get either the D100 rotary or the “combo” with a stepper driver. Apparently the bare rotary just omits the driver; I’m mildly surprised they included both cables.

The rotary’s NEMA 23 stepper motor should be the same size as the motor in the back of your laser, so it can use the same current settings. Some folks run into trouble when they connect a rotary with a NEMA 17 motor to a Y axis driver set for NEMA 23 currents: the smaller motor gets smokin’ hot from Too Much Juice.

Looks like you’re about to start having fun … :grin:

In all likelihood you will have to get into the connector… You are only going to gain a few inches doing this. The results will look much better if you just use the connector end and do away with the few inches of extra cable…

Assume it long enough?

Here is a setup for a rotary with the Rudia if that might be a problem.

A rotary attachment question. Warning: Newb - #2 by jkwilborn

Good luck

:smile_cat:

One bit of documentation I did find on Cloudray’s website lists what the various color wires do. So that’ll probably be helpful.

Peer at the stepper driver to find the colors attached to its A and B windings, trace those through the aviation connector on the bulkhead, convert to whatever colors match those connector pins on the stub cable, solder 'em up, and away you go.

Trust, but verify!