Constant Grbl ‘$’ command cannot be used unless Grbl is IDLE. Ensures smooth operation during a job. Error: 8

I’m constantly getting

Grbl ‘$’ command cannot be used unless Grbl is IDLE. Ensures smooth operation during a job. Error:8

I get this error only when cutting leather at 75mm/min and 100% power. Etching leather at 3000mm/min 40% power doesn’t produce the error. Log attached, any help would be appreciated! Error_8_Log.txt (919 Bytes)

1 Like

If running at lower power doesn’t give the error, there’s a really strong chance it’s either:

• The power supply is unable to provide the amount of power needed by the laser and motors, and the board is ‘browning out’ (not getting enough power, causing it it do weird things)

• The laser or power board for the laser, or the stepper motors, are causing electrical interference. This happens with crappy un-shielded USB cables, which are commonly included with the cheap diode lasers.

The 2nd thing can be fixed by buying a better USB cable - look for “usb printer cable” with a ferrite choke and shielded cable. On Amazon they go for about $10. If that doesn’t work, a better 12V power supply (might cost $20) would fix the first problem.

Yea it’s a ‘15w’ Ortur, with the cheap USB cable. Weirdly, it doesn’t do it when cutting 1/4" MDF board…

Anyway, I happen to have plenty of cables, and plenty of 12v power adapters I can try/build. Thanks for the input.

Since it doesn’t happen with other designs, maybe its the template I’m using for my leather patches?

If the design had an outline at full power and the others didn’t, that could be possible. The power supply might handle it if you only run full blast for short bursts, but sustained it might not keep up.

The power supply seems to be the issue. I’ve reduced power to 95% and burned/cut the same job 10 times now, no issues. Thank you for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.