Constant power recommendation

When is it recommended to use/not use constant power setting?

I would suggest by default leaving Constant Power Mode disabled as the benefit of having variable power to reduce or eliminate overburn is almost always beneficial.

There are times, particularly at very slow speeds, where power may drop low enough to the point where you get drop-outs in laser output resulting in gaps in burning. That would be a potential reason you’d want to enable Constant Power Mode.

In general, when you need it you’ll know there’s a problem that needs resolving. Otherwise, leave it off.

There may be some other use cases I haven’t listed or considered that others could bring up.

Having said that, it looks like you have an xTool laser. I may be misremembering but I believe at least in one version of their firmware that either “Constant Power Mode” had no effect in firmware or possibly there was a bug that resulted in drop-outs. It may be worth a search in this forum or some experimentation to see if it does what it should.

Thank you! I appreciate the input. I am a newbie at this and am a little overwhelmed with the learning curve on this and I am technologically savvy.

1 Like

This will help you get up to speed for sure. Being mechanical is a big plus. Experience in any sort of production is very useful (woodworking, machining, CNC, etc.). Exposure to design programs is a big plus.

Worked on aircraft weapons systems in the Air Force and am an avid woodworker as well.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.