Corrugated Plastic Sheets

I have an Omtech 80w and I was wondering if I could cut Coroplast sheets on my laser?
Interested in making yard signs for graduation.

Check what your plastics made out of. Polyvinyl chloride under laser turns into chlorine gas. Not real good for you or the machine.

If it is true Coroplast, it is safe. A strong blower motor (fume extractor) is ideal.

I’ve cut corrugated plastic sheets after performing the copper wire chlorine test, which told me it was safe.

Depending on the thickness of the sign, you may have to make three or more passes. 6mm stuff will usually cut the top layer and partly cut through the webs. Setting the focus halfway between the two layers also helps.

Expect imprecise lines with plenty of melting. What you consider for kerf allowance should be multiplied by about five, as the stuff really melts!

1 Like

You get a better response if you post a link to the product … With a link most of us can figure out it’s it’s a good idea to lase it or not.

Supposedly it polypropylene. The foam version of this is notorious for catching fire…

I looked at one, it’s 3/16th of an inch thick or 4.76mm … this is sign sheets.

A 2 inch lens or shorter, usually the stock lens with these. The 2 inch has a 1.9mm depth of field (focus)… shorter lens, less depth of focus.

It won’t be in focus for the thickness of the material… the best you can get is about 1mm on each side of the focus point…

Not that you can’t cut it, but a 4" lens has a depth of field of 7.6mm and will retain it’s focus for the depth of the material.

Keep in mind that when it crosses any of the ribs, it will be effectively cutting through the full thickness of the material. Main complaint about this material is it doesn’t cut through these rib areas completely.

Numerous people claim to lase it…

:smile_cat: