Counter/tracker Dial

Evening Folks, turns out I wasted the time of Bruce and Oz with my last question. It wasnt what I was after. Stuffed around with it for ages till I realised this is not at all what I wanted.

As you see, the counter has numbers that will always orient so that you can see the vertical number as the dial spins. Does anyone have an idea of how to get this to work?

A quick and a bit primitive way I have chosen. You could also make a small variable text with “0-10” and refer to the file, but for such a small task it is a bit overkill.
1 draw a circle
2 position a number
3 Circular Array (see photo)
4 edit text (9 times :wink:
5 customize the format

Consider 12 positions on the clock. A full rotation is 360°. 360 / 12 = 30° of rotation for each position that you wish to present in the window of view.

-=For the Left Dial=-

Draw three circles. Rotate one of them 30° and another 60°:

Position your numbers on each dial as such:

You will now need to take into consideration the 30° per rotation. This will result in the rotation for each number as follows:

• 3 - 0°
  • 9 - 180°
  • 12 - 270°
  • 6 - 90°

• 4 - 30°
  • 10 - 210°
  • 1 - 300°
  • 7 - 120°

• 5 - 60°
  • 11 - 240°
  • 2 - 330°
  • 8 - 150°

Group your number sets on dials 2 and 3 and move them to center on to dial 1:

The right dial would be the inverse

-=For a Dial with Any Number of Positions the same process applies=-

For a dial having positions 0 through 9, that is a total of 10 positions, therefore:

360 / 10 = 36° of rotation for each position.

Draw a 10 sided polygon:

Place your numbers:

Rotate Accordingly:

• 0 - 0°
  • 1 - 36°
  • 2 - 72°
  • 3 - 108°
  • 4 - 144°
  • 5 - 180°
  • 6 - 216°
  • 7 - 252°
  • 8 - 288°
  • 9 - 324°

And so now you figured out that in the first example, if you ever want to make a clock face you could just make a 12 sided polygon and place your numbers evenly distributed by snapping them to the nodes.

1 Like

Maybe I am missing something and thanks for the great detailed explanations, but rotation of objects created during the array build is an included option.

1 Like

that’s exactly what I use in my proposal, but without rotation - as desired

Yes, what you may be overlooking is the challenge in what is needed: a single selected number appearing in the window in the proper orientation on a rotating dial. In your example, the selected number would not be in the proper orientation in the window of the dial. The numbers must be positioned and rotated:

Updated my resulting image. You mean like this?

Lookie there! LightBurn always has it built-in! Looks like I am the one overlooking FEATURES :rofl:

(at least I may have helped others in some way to understand the “old way” we had to figure this stuff out with CAD tricks before fancy feature packed software) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lightburn is just wonderful

@bernd.dk @Rick @Stroonzo
You guys are fantastic. I am quite the amateur when it comes to most software, if it isnt a game. And never mind that lightburn is great, the community is even better, helping people who have no clue.
I really appreciate the help everyone, thankyou.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.