Create a ruler in lightburn

I am trying to create a 20" ruler for a cutting board that i want to engrave for a friend who is a fisherman. I have a couple graphics, text, etc. I can easily create a ruler in autocad, sketchup, but cannot figure out the best way to do it in lightburn. Couple questions for my project…

1. How can you snap two lines at the endpoints?
  2. How can i put a line an exact amount, say .25 inches perpendicular to a line.

@bettagl Lightburn has both vertical and horizontal rulers built in Lenny. Zoom your screen so that it zeros in the bottom left. Zoom to whatever measurement you need, inch, half in, quarter in, whatever.

Capture

When I need precise spacing, I’ll use the rectangular array feature. Even if it’s only a single duplication, it’s an easy matter to select the object, tap the array and put in the value desired. For the ruler example, you’d need more than one additional duplication, making it all the more practical. Create the array, then snap a line across the bottom from one end to the other.

LOL, you certainly answered HOW to do it!

1 Like

Oh yeah, but I didn’t notice so you get to keep the attaboy :wink:

I want to thank everyone for their direction and feedback. Ralph, unbelievable tutorial!!! Thank you so much. Just diving into lightburn and i see i have a lot to learn on the settings and features.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Thanks Ralph.
You have introduced a few tools & tips there that I never approached before. I will explore those further.

A slight tangent to the OPs question. . . .

When I first read the post, I created a ruler with an array-
First a 10mm line arrayed at 10mm spacing
Then an 8mm line with a 5mm spacing
Then a 5mm line with a 1mm spacing

Which looks like a ruler, but of course, you have 3 lines on top of one another at some points and Lightburn will etch all 3 lines.
Is there a Lightburn setting that will prevent that? ie remove Lines below lines?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think it’s broadly ‘on-topic’.

-Alan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.