Create tabs or slots from a single line

Hi

I want to create a dinosaur template for my nephew. I got a design from 3 Axis, here, but the design looks to be intended for use with a CNC Router setup. Presumably using a cutting bit matching that of the stock.

You see, all the tabs for the parts are singular lines.

My question: What would be a quick way to turn more than 100 lines into tabs (slots) for the parts to fit together? So far I have tried, and failed with:

1. Using “Resize Slots in Selection” tool, doesn’t work, since there is no gap (singular line)
  2. Draw line on cut line, use offset tool to create slot, then merge the parts. This removes the other cut lines, and is very, very cumbersome.

Below is an image of the part with lines:

And here is what I would like. (Notice how the other lines disappeared because I used Boolean Subtract merge tool)

Something like this may work:

1. select all lines meant to be tabs
  2. use offset shapes tool to create appropriately sized tabs, use “delete original objects” if you don’t want to have to clean-up afterward
  3. select all generated tabs and group them
  4. select all base (non-tab) shapes and group them
  5. select grouped base shapes, then add tab shapes to selection
  6. Tools->Boolean difference

Unfortunately all the lines are part of the larger shape, and cannot be ungrouped any further, so I cannot select the lines individually, I will have to either:

1. Edit nodes, and break all nodes where there are lines. Which again is very tedious.
  2. Draw new lines where all the other lines already existed, in which case your solution might work, but it’s still going to be very tedious.

Is there no tool or mod (or website) that one can use to turn cnc tool paths into a shape?

See image below for what I mean with the lines are part of the shape. In the image I’ve selected one of the shapes, notice the lines are also selected.

Are you sure these are singular lines in that case? I’m wondering if the entire perimeter is a continuous shape with the slot shapes being both an inward and outward line on top of one another.

In that case you might still be able to use the strategy.

1. duplicate base shapes
  2. outset entire base shapes
  3. group outset shapes
  4. group base shapes
  5. subtract outset shapes from base shapes

I think I understand what you’re trying to do. Let me give it a bash and get back to this thread within a day or so.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.