Crop layer to shape?

Hey again everyone! I have yet another question.

I’m trying to remove everything from outside the box. The only way I can get this to work is to convert the tentacles to a bitmap, then apply a mask. Is there another/better way to do this?

Thanks!

Try this:

1. Select tentacles
  2. Add rectangle to selection
  3. Tools->Boolean intersection

Tried all the boolean tools, no go.

Are the tentacles multiple objects? Or possibly an image? It won’t work on an image.

If it’s multiple objects first group them so that it’s a single object. Boolean will only work on 2 objects at a time.

If that’s not it, can you share the .lbrn file here? Something else might be going on.

1 Like

The tentacles are one grouped object (lines, not filled). If I convert them to a bitmap image, I can use the mask tool to get the results I’m looking for, I was just wondering if there was a better way to do it.

The only boolean function that lets me click on it is the top one, weld all shapes, and that only leaves the art outside the box regardless of which object I select first. I’m just going to assume that my “solution” above is the right way to do it. Certainly not worth anyone’s time to dig into it. :slight_smile:

It’s probably not. The ‘Cut Shapes’ tool will do it, and the Boolean operations would if the tentacle shapes are all closed, and in a single group. Boolean operations require exactly two inputs, so if the tentacles are lots of shapes, not a single group, you won’t have the option.

Converting to a bitmap first, then masking, is losing the vector information that you started with. You shouldn’t have to do it that way.

The problem with this approach is that you won’t have a ready solution for when something similar comes up the next time around and there are plenty of folks on here willing to help.

Share the document and someone can take a look.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.