Cut ordering doesn't work as expected

I have a simple cut program using simple shapes. The way I have drawn it is not in the way it needs to be cut. So, using the Preview window as my true guide, no matter what I do, I cannot change the cut order.

No matter what I do, in the Arrange Menu: Push forward/back in draw order makes no difference. The preview window shows exactly the same cut sequence. I want to rely on the preview window.

I know I can use layers for the sequence, but just asking.

There must be something simple and fundamental that I have missed? Surely?

put here your file .lbrn and we can check

Thanks.

Thatā€™s going to take some doing, but I will try if it makes a difference. ā€œThisā€ is my iMac. I use my Mac as my main machine for access to the internet and most every day-to-day activities.

The machine I use for running LB and running my Laser is a Win7 machine. It is ā€œbrickedā€ and I prefer it not/never being connected to the internet.

Surely my simple question can be resolved without posting code? But I will do so if that gets me to resolving this issue.

Just asking.

Ok. Hang on. Iā€™ll copy the file over.

Ok. Iā€™ve got the image transferred over. A very simple image:

I want, and NEED the vertical lines cut before the outer rectangle, for obvious reasons.

Iā€™m not sure the LB file will post:
3mm MDF Test Cuts.lbrn2 (4.1 KB)

If youā€™re looking to force a specific order then I suggest you use ā€œCut Priorityā€ in Shape Properties by assigning a lower value to vertical lines than the outer rectangle.

As youā€™ve indicated, layering could also be used for this.

Keep in mind also that your ā€œOptimization Settingsā€ in Laser window can further influence cut order.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. I understand the ā€œwork-aroundsā€ they are there with any software.

Itā€™s not a big issue - just something unexpected. I will sort it out via other tests. I was just pointing out a problem.

The Z order is a bit flakey, perhaps, but LB is a great tool.

I agree wholeheartedly with your view. :slight_smile:

I use this to work out the kerf. Simple.

Iā€™ll work it out another way. All good.

iā€™ve run you file and it cuts first the rectangle then the 3 vertical lines, is this the behavior you are looking for?

No. It should cut the 3 vertical lines first, then cut the outer rectangle.
That IS my point.

Selected the three lines, changed it to a red layer. Cut by layer order.

3mm MDF Test Cuts.lbrn2 (4.5 KB)

I use this for figuring out the kerf.

kerf-master-00.lbrn2 (94.1 KB)

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Thanks once again Jack. Please let me explain further.

This is my standard test cut template for determining Kerf and adjustment:

This was a simple template I created at my last job to help other people I worked with to understand what kerf was and how to measure it. The fact that you can account for Kerf in LB without altering your artwork is simply brilliant!

But in this instance, I was just wanting to cut out some simple squares to use as shims under my honeycomb bed. This was the first proper useful job I wanted to cut. Iā€™ve finally got my laser working with my new controller and LB.

Anyway, the cut ordering feature in the menu doesnā€™t appear to work as expected:

Dunno, maybe Iā€™m using it incorrectly?

HOWEVER, the simplest work-around is to change the Cut Order Priority under Shape Properties. Now it works exactly as expected.!!! :slight_smile:

Itā€™s all good now. Iā€™m not going to cry about the menu feature not working - but it does appear to be a bug.

On a positive note, LightBurnā€™s capabilities are far far far beyond that of K40 Whisperer and the insanity of Trotecā€™s JobControl. I absolutely love it!

Nevertheless, at this point Iā€™m not going to mark this post as solved.

1 Like

I went into the ā€˜optimizingā€™ menu and turned off ā€œCut in direction orderā€ and it works properly. This is probably why it didnā€™t work with the drop down menuā€¦

Iā€™ve never used the options you specified and they did not work for me. Iā€™m assuming what they do and have not read the documentation so I will reserve comment on if itā€™s a bug or not. @LightBurn will have to clarify if possible. I couldnā€™t find this in the documentation.

Most of the time I fix these type of issue via the optimization menu, although it can be confusing. I think how you draw it also impacts how itā€™s interpreted.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s a bug, bug rather does exactly what it says itā€™ll do: change the drawing order, not the cutting order. Purely optical when designing, but doesnā€™t impact the laser path planning.

If you want to change the cutting order within the same layer, then use the tool that says it will do just that: cut order priority.

The former works as it should, and the latter isnā€™t a workaround, itā€™s the exact solution to your question, as intended.

Personally, Iā€™d rather handle those things on separate layers, as thatā€™s much more obvious and much less prone to failure by forgetting a setting hidden in a menu.

2 Likes

Ah Ha!!!.. Thanks Jordy. You are indeed correct. I was misinterpreting ā€œDrawā€ order for ā€œCutā€ order - if only I had read what it actually says in the menu properly.

@jkwilborn Thanks for that, Itā€™s something Iā€™ll look into in the future. Looks like there more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

With more complex artwork Iā€™ll definitely be using layers as suggested.

Cheers.

One of the issues with Lightburn, many ways to skin a cat. Itā€™s sometimes very difficult to do the ā€˜simpleā€™ way. These people will give you 20+ when you have maybe one way of doing itā€¦

Most of us probably just use layers as I first posted as itā€™s pretty simple and intuitive. I rarely use priorities as I donā€™t see it as clearly.

Take care, enjoyā€¦

Good luck

1 Like

Jordy is indeed correct. The draw order is intended to let you push items backward / forward, so you can move vectors in front of bitmaps, for example, to be able to see them.

Unless you have optimizations completely disabled, drawing order does not affect the cutting order. If you do have optimizations disabled, the cutting order will match the drawing order.

2 Likes

For lightburn, you could skip the ascending and descending lines, and just draw the 10 boxes next to each other. Use path optimisation, selecting remove overlapping lines.

Or, draw the outside rectangle in one color, and the separation lines in another. Ive been working with laser and corel for almost 10 years now, and never have tried to use layers to work with objects for cutting out.

I find that the layer tool in Draw does goofy things and can make the drawing get corrupted, and its a problem that we saw at the sign company where I worked. That and a lot of other dumb issues came around after CD9 and them buying up a ton of other programs.

Lightburn also has kerf settings. I might look at those before changing your drawings.