Cutting 1/4" plywood

Hello,
I recently purchased an Atomstack A5 M50 Pro engraver, and it does a fine job engraving.
However, I can’t seem to cut through 5.6mm plywood without many, many passes. Is this normal?

I am running 100mm/min and it takes about 40 passes to get through,
or 50mm/min and it takes about 18 passes, but that burns the wood more.

Am I missing something obvious to you vets? Should I really be able to burn through in 2 or 3 passes?

Could you provide a video showing the problem?

Same machine same result UNTIL I did a ramp test and found that they quote and supply focus block based on Optical focus not INTENSITY focus, that a ramp test will show. Changed my focus from 2mm to 3.4mm which was the result of MY ramp test and cutting in 1 or 2 passes at 100%

1 Like

Very interesting.
How can I conduct a ramp test?
I am using the clear block they provided with the machine, and it is 3.0mm thick.

Edit: Found a good video! Thanks!

I was able to reduce my passes to half as many with a ramp test, but I still cant get it quite right because the housing around the laser keeps me from putting it right against the ramp. Any pointers?

Unless it looks like you need to go closer in that direction I wouldn’t worry about it

1 Like

Check in the machine settings in the LightBurn program if S max is at 1000 for 100% laser output.