Cutting 6 mil mylar

I have a 5W Ortur LM2 Pro and am trying to create stencils using 6 mil mylar.
I am using Lightburn V1.0.06 on a Windows 10 PC. I can’t seem to get a clean cut on the material and have tried several different speed/power/pass number settings. Any suggestions? I have tried other forums and Youtube without luck. Thank you.

it would be helpful if you add a photo of what’s happening.

I have tried with cardboard underneath and also just on the wood table.

Is the problem

• ragged cut
  • not cut thru in areas
  • ugly brown stain, possibly from the wood behind?
  • all the above.

all of the above. The brown stain also appeared on the cardboard. I thought I had too much power.

Well I don’t have a diode laser but don’t think you can ever have too much power.
I’d try to improve the focus and get the material above the table but keep it flat. Like using nails or pins or dowel rods.

I tried using stencils one time and couldn’t keep the paint from going under. I didn’t glue it down. Ended up just cutting the letters out from foam core boards. Good luck.

It’s likely just the material that you’re trying to cut. I’m not familiar with mylar specifically but any light colored plastic will pose a challenge for a traditional diode laser. I’ve tried cutting white acrylic and the material appeared virtually unchanged.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.