Cutting leather for client, cant make the shape easily.... i think?

Hello everyone!

So, ive looked, cant find it in lightburn and i cant find it in the forums.

Basically the situation is this: I use my laser to cut leather into strips. normally this isnt a big deal. the customer wants 5 10 20 meters? no problem. i just load up a spiral drawn in inscape, size it up or down, and done.

but now i have a customer that wants A LOT. like, 10 cows worth. and the scraps from cutting spirals is adding up to a nice pile in the shop, as well as a hole in the wallet.

so my thinking is… if i could cut a sqaure - spiral… with rounded corners… i would limit the scraps even more. I could google search square spiral, but rounded corners? even google cant figure that out

besides… lightburn is great… and we´ve been asking for a while now… whats up with spirals? why all the hate? When will they be implemented? WHEN OZ? WHEN!? …or have they already been added and im stupid for not noticing?

ive seen lots of Oz´s videos on youtube for designing in lightburn (great stuff, btw), dont wanna make one to solve this problem do ya? help me out guys! please!

posting 3 pics, the spirals i use now, the sqaure spirals i found on google, and what i´d want to cut…

thanks everyone!

sqaure spiral2

If you post the ‘square’ .lbrn2 version we can download it and try somethings to get the results…

I’d try the radius tool… doesn’t need to be a closed shape…

Does the leather just ‘straighten’ out when cut like this?

Good luck

:smile_cat:

leather, wet, can straighten out, but it wont lay (as) flat, or be as thick in that spot. worse if its got an actual angle to it, and not a smooth curve.

So I think I have a reasonable way of doing this but fairly cumbersome to explain.

How much flexibility would you need in this? Do you need to change the thickness of the strips or overall size or is a static shape sufficient?

I anticipate a potential issue with the approach you’ve described, however. If you round only the corners, the width of the material at the rounded corners will be thicker than the straight areas. This is actually true for your current square corner method. See picture:

Based on what you’re saying about the material stretching when unbent maybe this isn’t an issue. I assume you’d have too much material at the outer corner and too little on the inner corner once straightened out.

If this isn’t an issue then all the better. If it is an issue then you may want to explore more of a squircle shape. As in the following but created as a spiral:

Hello Nickvoodoo.
does this have to be something that is specifically cut on the laser? i mean if your just cutting strap leather why not just get a strap cutter from anyone of the various leather suppliers. it would cut down on your wasted materials and not hit the pocketbook so hard. just a thought is all, i’m sure you have already thought about that.

There should be a round spiral tool in Inkscape, no?

https://inkscape-manuals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/spirals.html

Will this help? Printable Spiral Templates - PDF - SVG you could draw some large spirals to cover most of the hide and some small ones to fill in the gaps. Round spiral will give you much better results.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.