Cutting outside before inside

(C3D + K40)

I’ve attached a lightburn file - for some reason it’s cutting the outside before the inside…

Its part of a larger lightburn file - which the rest of the shapes cut inside before out - however these two did not…

i tried both ‘optimise cut path’ enabled and disabled (with enabled i also made sure cut inside before outside was selected) - same result…insidefirst.lbrn (150.6 KB)

the file downloaded with two layers turned off and invisible, but that’s unrelated to your description. The order of the layers in the column in the upper right determine that the outside is being cut first. You can select the appropriate layer and use the down arrow to the right to drop it in the cutting order.

I may be misinterpreting the file, however, as I am not as experienced with this great software as I’d like to be.

It’s because the parts are “shattered” instead of continuous shapes. Here’s how LightBurn sees your parts:

If you open the file and un-group everything, the outline shown here is all discrete lines and arcs, not one continuous curve. Select everything, ungroup it all, select everything, then Edit -> Auto-Join selected shapes.

My guess is that this came from a DXF file. They’re notorious for this, but this can be improved by setting a non-zero auto-close tolerance here in the settings:

Use a small number, like 0.02mm, so it doesn’t join stuff you don’t intend to be joined. If you have the original DXF this came from, email it to me at developer at lightburnsoftware dot com so I can try to see if there’s connectivity information that I’m missing.

thank you kindly :slight_smile: